Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, just picked up a used 1987 honda shadow, not a new one :).

The previous owner lost the key, so i cant even turn it on. He said that he was riding and it died on him, and he had just installed a new batt. So it might be a charging issue. But either way, he lost the key when i bought it from him. So..

I started stripping everything off and was hoping to bypass the key ignition to test to see if there is any life to the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a video showing my 1985 shadow i just picked up. This seems like a difficult project. Electrical probs are the worst

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
Hope you get it running well. If you can get the helmet lock out I have heard there is the key code on it, but I'm not sure.
It looks like the front forks are extended that is why the brake lines are different up front.
The master cylinder sight glass (plastic) can be replaced .
Pictures of the normal fork lengths=

Reactions: scorch

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I removed the ignition and im going to take it to a keysmith today if it's open and see if he can make me a copy.

I really want this thing to run. I didn't realize the forks were extended i guess they were going for a chopper look?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to figure it out. Cant seem to bypass the ignition, anyone know?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hooked the bike up to my truck and touched the starter relay and it cranked, its a good sign but wont start. I think i still need to by pass the ignition and i dont know how to do that. i tried watching some videos on how to do it, one guy opened up the headlight removed the ignition key and put 2 paper clips in there female end and that worked, but for me nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
The large red wire is power into the ignition switch, and the red/black is power out to the fuses etc. So if you put a paper clip into those 2 wires shown it will power up the normal ignition circuits and fuses. If there is no power to the red wire the main fuse may be blown. That is back next to the battery in a small black plastic box unless it has been changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
Here is the factory fuse box i saw on your video

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
Could you check on the sterring head VIN plate what year and model it shows? I thought it was a 1985 700 but you show in the video it as a 1987 700. If it is Canadian it may be a 750 .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks swifty. That ignition fuse was blown, i've never even realized that was a fuse there. Going to autoparts now to see if i can find a 30amp like that, thanks for the hint

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
The factory fuse is a odd thin metal strip and I just replaced it with an in line fuse holder with a blade fuse.
Did you find out the year and model?
I think it is a 1985 with that extra fuse box in the headlight. The manual shows that for the after 1984 model.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah its a 1985 honda shadow 700, i keep thinking in my head its a 1987. Going to the shop now to see if i can get a inline fuse to use on it. Lets hope i can get it running!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some good news, no start yet. But got it to crank by twisting the ignition a bit. Going to see if a locksmith can make a key tomorrow.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
If the master cylinder is still good you can get just the sight glass.
If the handle bars are original they are 7/8" diameter not the 1 inch diameter you looked at.

·
Registered
1983 vt750c
97 Posts
Dont bother trying to get a new sight glass to the master cylinders I did research when I was trying to get new ones for mine and came up with none to be able to replace them with. Plus their a pain in a butt to try and replace. Just buy two sets one for brakes and one for the clutch on amazon their 45 for both in all black with the sight glass facing the rider instead of toward the front makes more sense this way not sure why they thought the other was better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
funny you should mention the sight glass facing the front anigrelli. I recently got into a argument about how the fjr1300 sight glass was facing the front, and it was first time i had a bike that had the sight glass facing the front and not the rider. To me it makes more sense to have it face the rider so you can glance at it when you are riding. But now at least i have had 2 bikes with the sight glass facing the opposite way :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Who would want to look at their master cylinder sight gauge when riding? That's something you would check when doing a pre-ride walk around which would be much easier to see when facing the front. Also easier to top off that way. Who would sit on the seat to fill the master cylinder?

Reactions: longbeachgary1

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,813 Posts
I couldn't check my master cylinder as I am going down the freeway at 70 and everything is vibrating and buzzing including my eyeballs.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who would want to look at their master cylinder sight gauge when riding? That's something you would check when doing a pre-ride walk around which would be much easier to see when facing the front. Also easier to top off that way. Who would sit on the seat to fill the master cylinder?
I would.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts