Honda Shadow Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
i also fixed the front master cylinder with a coin but alas, i have front brake problems. The right caliper i cant get the fluid to go down. I wonder if there is de\bris in the hose because it was left sitting for a while without that sight glass

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
If you take the bleeder screw all the way does the fluid run out?
Even gravity feed will drip if the hose and port if is clear.
Maybe the bleeder is full of rust. I saw that on cars a few times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
If you take the bleeder screw all the way does the fluid run out?
Even gravity feed will drip if the hose and port if is clear.
Maybe the bleeder is full of rust. I saw that on cars a few times.
No it wont come out. I did have a bit come out if i squeezed the brake lever really hard and there would be a tiny amount that came out. It does feel like it might be clogged.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
It should blast out when you squeeze the brake lever.
Poke a wire into the caliper bleeder hole to see if it will clear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i also fixed the front master cylinder with a coin but alas, i have front brake problems. The right caliper i cant get the fluid to go down. I wonder if there is de\bris in the hose because it was left sitting for a while without that sight glass
amazing Job, coin works great but lost visibility, so you will in trouble when leaking, I´ll recommend to use a glass using coin for pattern and then add sealing to avoid any issues., good luck with you honda

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Figured out the brake line. Tried bleeding. Didn't work. I narrowed it down to the bottomr ight brake line, something must have been clogging it. Took a compressor and put some air in there. Also cleaned that right caliper, the pistons were stuck together

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Bypassing the fuel pump in the shadow and getting on it for the first time

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Damn i noticed my fork seal on the left is broken after the ride today. and of course my front tire was low, and i think i got some slow leak. But i need to replace the front tire anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bypassing the pump relay is not a good idea. That fuel pump should be impulse driven from CDI and this setup works absolutely great. Otherwise pump is building too much pressure in fuel system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Finally got the shadow to go for a ride. It rides well, but afterwards i noticed my tire was low.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Bypassing the pump relay is not a good idea. That fuel pump should be impulse driven from CDI and this setup works absolutely great. Otherwise pump is building too much pressure in fuel system.
thats true, i've read on the forum that the fuel pump on the shadow goes bad many times often and people do this successfully very often.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
The factory fuel pump is turned on by the relay when it gets a running signal from the ignition system.
When the engine is running the pump is continuously powered, so it can be ready to add fuel when the bowl levels drop.
So it is always on when the engine runs and the relay is working correctly. The pump is only able to put out the factory set limit on demand.
So if you power it from the relay, or the ignition, or a toggle switch, it will work the same.
But you will loose the safety factor if you power it directly, without the relay function.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
My right front brake was pretty bent from a fall by the previous owner. I did have a brake lever from my vstrom 650, it didnt quite fit. But by drilling and grinding i made it fit and it looks pretty good too. And now i have a good position to brake well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
After a little ride, i pull over to look over the bike and damn. Something happened, the starter wont start the bike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Can someone recommend a fork seal? I look for the fork seals on amazon and i always get magnas, and other bikes. Are they all compatible? should i also replace the bushings? Im assuming they are going to be bad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can someone recommend a fork seal? I look for the fork seals on amazon and i always get magnas, and other bikes. Are they all compatible? should i also replace the bushings? Im assuming they are going to be bad.
I'm doing a full rebuild of an "85 VT&)) right now. The front fork seals can be gotten at a Honda dealer. I got the new seals and had them replace them as well. I don't have a tools needed to replace the seals, there is a part inside the fork that will just spin if you don't hold it in place and you have to get it free to get the old seals off and the new ones on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I'm doing a full rebuild of an "85 VT&)) right now. The front fork seals can be gotten at a Honda dealer. I got the new seals and had them replace them as well. I don't have a tools needed to replace the seals, there is a part inside the fork that will just spin if you don't hold it in place and you have to get it free to get the old seals off and the new ones on.
thats pretty cool. The fork seals i ordered online from all balls. But with the covid thing it will take forever to get here.
I realize my clutch master cylinder hose is leaking too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I replaced both my brake lines and the clutch line with stainless steel gafer lines and new banjo bolts and crush washers. Will not have any leaks from those.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts