Honda Shadow Forums banner

Giving an old 85 shadow a new life

14K views 108 replies 13 participants last post by  scorch 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, just picked up a used 1987 honda shadow, not a new one :).

The previous owner lost the key, so i cant even turn it on. He said that he was riding and it died on him, and he had just installed a new batt. So it might be a charging issue. But either way, he lost the key when i bought it from him. So..

I started stripping everything off and was hoping to bypass the key ignition to test to see if there is any life to the bike.

See less See more
1 2
#37 ·
If that hose is about 3/8 (10MM) size it is probably for the carb bowl vent and just goes down behind the engine in case the bowls overflow.
The fuel pump will not run continuously, only when the bowls get lower. ON-DEMAND type pump. Loosen the drain screw on each carb to see if there is fuel inside.
If the kill switch is off or the contacts are dirty, the starer will crank but there is no power to the ignition.

Attachments

Reactions: scorch
#41 ·
that's pretty much the normal. It's not like your fuel injected vehicle where the pump buzzes for a second or two when you turn the key. If you test like above and you have fuel then I'd look elsewhere for your problem. As an "oh, by the way, your bike requires your battery to be darn near fresh and full to actually make the bike fire up. It's aggravating as heck, the bike will turn over all day, just won't start.

Sounds like you're getting closer though.

Reactions: Anigrelli
#40 ·
Did you test it while it was connected to fuel lines with fuel? If so then that initial click is fine and it wont continue to click unless the bowls are empty disconnect the feed fuel line to the carbs and have it end into a cup and then test the pump and see if it will continuously click and pump fuel without stopping

#44 ·
It lives! I clearned the carbs again. THey were really clean, but i re did it, this time i sprayed air into the carbs hoping something was in there. Then i ordered a new fuel pump, a chinese unit, but had a change of heart when i heard i could get a mr. gasket at advanced auto parts. Went there and nothing except a Holly fuel pump, i bought it for 50$. Installed it, and the bike roared to life.

I also had changed the oil, and the vacum hose that was disconnected i reconnected it, not sure which of those did it. But i think it was the fuel pump.

Not out of the water just yet, lots of work to do. But im really happy this bike is running.

#46 ·
the bike fires, yesterday it was running great. But now after bolting everything together it was running oddly as if it was not etting gas. Seems like a air issue. Removed the tank and the top plastic airbox and it seemed to run better. When i put the air box cover and tank runs like it wants to die

#47 ·
Sounds like a restriction in the intake area. Is there a rag sucked in to the intake opening under the seat or clogged air filter? Check the whole tubing and air box.
It may be too rich to begin with and with less air flow it affects the running. - ???

#52 ·
hooked up a gravity fed gas can to the carbs, and the bike runs perfect.

But when i hook up the pump no gas is being pushed up to the carbs. looping the 2 wires in the connector doest make the pump work, so im not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

#53 ·
Read through this thread.

#54 ·
The 3 wire relay is for safety, in case the bikes fall and engine quits, and the key is on, the fuel pump won't keep pumping fuel and cause a fire.
The blue wire to the relay comes from one coil to signal the relay to turn on the pump when the engine runs.
An electronic transistor relay not your typical coil and contacts type.

Reactions: squidchief
#56 ·
i hooked up the positive from the fuel pump to the middle relay wire, and then fuel pump negative to ground. when i start the bike it starts right up. But i cant find that yellow blue wire, because the fuel pump keeps pumping and pumping and fuel seems to be coming off the hoses on the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.