Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my '06 Spirit a while ago to heat it up and charge the battery. I usually let it run several minutes at mostly a fast idle. It is in a fairly dim lit building and I noticed that the header pipe on both cylinders were getting red hot. I knew the factory jetted them lean, and that proves it. It runs good, starts easy, isn't especially cold natured, and still has the stock exhaust, even though I did add a few 3/8 holes through the baffles. Has anyone else noticed the glowing pipes?

·
Registered
213 Posts
All inner pipes will glow red at an extended high idle when the bike is parked, lean or rich. The pipes need the airflow of riding to cool them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daver84 said:
All inner pipes will glow red at an extended high idle when the bike is parked, lean or rich. The pipes need the airflow of riding to cool them.
Thanks for the info, I feel better now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just want I wanted to read!! I love this forum.

I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. I thought I'd start'er up and let it idle for a while; left the choke on until the rpm's came up pretty good (3-4 minutes), then went with no choke and a little more than a flat idle with the throttle boss. Noticed the red glow after about 15 minutes and really freaked out. Bike has run great and was last riden about 1 month ago. Is there a fair chance that the worst thing that happened was the slight blueing of the heat shield?

·
Registered
213 Posts
gman, yeah just a little blueing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts