Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm taking a friend to look at an '86 Shadow VT500 (Candy Scorpio Red ;)). My friend has a license so he can test ride the bike. He's also a mechanic and knows bikes, old cars and new cars.

The bike has new tires, front fork seals, brakes, and a new battery. The odometer reads just under 13,000 miles. The seller will throw in two helmets, a cover and a battery charger for $1,000. This seems like a good deal for a nice starter bike. The paint looks very nice except for the end of the rear fender. I would probably repaint it. The shiny parts (I'm guessing chrome and stainless) look pretty good and should shine up well.

What specific areas should I investigate for this model?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Very little.

Starter clutches very often go bad though. If you hit the starter and hear it spin but the engine doesn't than you know the starter clutch is getting bad. Hit or miss usually if the engine will spin or not.

Other than that just the regular maintenance that I'm sure your gona do anyway. Valve adjustments almost never get done... Brake fluid and all other fluid flush, electrical connector cleanings, etc etc.

I wouldn't wear a used helmet.

·
Registered
586 Posts
see if it will start hot. run bike till rad fan turns on and off. then turn it off for like 5 or 10 mins and see if it restarts. temp gague normally goes 3/4 over almost to the red but not to the red that is not a problem. the left side cover battery cover is usually missing. if it has this cover that is a good thing. this bike is relyable and low maintanance. have fun

·
Registered
843 Posts
Check the rear corners of the tank for rust. This is a common flaw. Start it cold. This bike is very reliable, with lots of spare parts and a good forum support.

Side panels are difficult and very expensive to find. Ensure they come with the bike. As well as the tool kit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me...same thing I paid for my 85 VT500C last summer. I think it's a great starter bike. Plenty of power in a small bike easy to learn on.

- Take the MSF course

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's a great bike, and you'll love it! Just remember these bikes normally run hot, so make sure your cooling fan kicks on and off. Also check your fork brace as these have a tendency to crack in the corners (around the bolts) as mine has. Easy fix though. Post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am a new rider as well and love my 83 VT500. Has Plenty of power, easy to ride, is quite smooth and knocks out 65 mpg like it ain't nothing. I had to chase some electrical gremlins before I was comfortable with it. Blinkers were wired incorrectly the headlight was intermittant, had a bad front brakelight switch and had to fix the turn signal switch and fab a fusebox for it. Runs great though it does experience the coil issue on occasion. Only did it once on a very hot day and after a 100 mile ride.

Congratulations on your new bike. I am completely digging mine. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will tease everyone and say that I got the bike today but will post pictures tomorrow, as long as it's not raining. Thanks for the help.

It's a nice bike, however, I might be tempted to repaint it since the front fender is faded at the very front portion, the gas tank has a chip and a worn, original sticker that I'm not sure will come off and the rear fender has a crack, another stubborn sticker and a few chips.

Ok, here's a picture from the seller:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice bike. Have fun with it! Oh, and in case nobody has said it, check the plugs. It's like getting your temp taken at the doctor's office. It'll tell you a lot about how the bike has been ridden lately.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am attaching a new picture of the bike. I didn't have time to take a better picture, so here is another teaser. It's not perfect but there are many little cosmetic things that need to be touched up. I practiced riding it up and down my driveway today. Yes, I'm very new to riding a bike. It was my first time today. I'm taking it slow. I'm going to have my friend ride it to a nearby empty parking lot so I have more space to practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am attaching a new picture of the bike. I didn't have time to take a better picture, so here is another teaser. It's not perfect but there are many little cosmetic things that need to be touched up. I practiced riding it up and down my driveway today. Yes, I'm very new to riding a bike. It was my first time today. I'm taking it slow. I'm going to have my friend ride it to a nearby empty parking lot so I have more space to practice.
Cool bike! You're really gonna love it. It's a fantastic starter bike, easy as **** to ride, comfortable, and handles great. This model is also my first bike and glad I started with it. Ride safe.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Here's another large pic of your bike. Your bike looks great, keep it that way by taking a motorcycle safety course BEFORE riding. Everything MIGHT turn out fine learning on your own but with the course you get the chance to learn on someone elses bike. The course arms you with techniques that WILL save your life someday. It also gives you the chance to decide if riding really is for you. Enjoy your new found freedom.

If you decide not to take the course then memorize the above pics, your bike might not look like this for long.:shock:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to finish up my introduction,

I rode up and down my driveway a few more times today and was much better at working the clutch and accelerator. That low first gear scared me a few days ago but I'm almost a pro at it now!
I got bored with my driveway pretty fast, so I put my helmet on and drove it up and down my road a few times. That was exciting! I used to live on a cul-de-sac but several years ago a road and some houses were built and that connected my road to another development. Well, that just makes the perfect training course with little to no traffic. I spent about 30 minutes riding around, practicing shifting, stopping, turn signals, turning and had a **** good time. It was a great obstacle course because it has stop signs, turn, hills, a pedestrian with a dog, a mail vehicle, an elderly driver, areas with gravel and scattered leaves and twigs due to the recent high winds of the hurricane. I want to take it out again but I have to leave for work soon.
I work all day tomorrow so I will have to wait until Thursday. I'm already addicted!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.