Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are headed to the Carolina's this summer and plan on doing the Dragon. I know many have ridden this infamous 11 miles of highway and I am looking for general input, links, tips, directions, about where to stay, how to ride it, etc.

We're leaving the St. Louis area on Thursday, 24 May and plan on spending the night on the Tenn side of the border. On Friday the 25th we'll do the Dragon's Tail and then head on into the Carolinas to spend the weekend with family.

We plan on leaving North Carolina on Monday the 28th of May (Memorial Day) and want to take the Blue Ridge Parkway out of North Carolina.

Does anybody have any tips or advice for us?

David

·
Registered
227 Posts
bikerrev said:
A friend and I are headed to the Carolina's this summer and plan on doing the Dragon. I know many have ridden this infamous 11 miles of highway and I am looking for general input, links, tips, directions, about where to stay, how to ride it, etc.

We're leaving the St. Louis area on Thursday, 24 May and plan on spending the night on the Tenn side of the border. On Friday the 25th we'll do the Dragon's Tail and then head on into the Carolinas to spend the weekend with family.

We plan on leaving North Carolina on Monday the 28th of May (Memorial Day) and want to take the Blue Ridge Parkway out of North Carolina.

Does anybody have any tips or advice for us?

David
Bring rain gear! Stay hydrated and take it easy the first run.
Glen

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bring a good quality camera with you!

Beck

·
Registered
460 Posts
ya can check out dealsgap.com for some info on the area.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ride your own ride...... in other words take your time. Weekends are the worse as every car seems to forget they're on a highway & think they're on a race track. You'll need rain gear. My husband & I went last May & it rained every day. But managed to have 1 dry day to do the dragon.
Be prepared to see some wonderful country!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yep, be prepared for some rain. The southern app mt's are acutually a rain forest. They get up to 60 inches a year around the Smokies and May and June can be wet, sometimes you get lucky with great sunny skies, but just as often it rains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scanogram said:
Don't miss riding the Cherohala Skyway.

I agree! The Cherohala is a much better scenic road than the dragon and was a much more enjoyable ride. You'll want to watch you speed on the BRP during a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Pick up a copy of "madmaps" of the area. The Dragon is fun but there are lots better roads down there.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Madness522 said:
Scanogram said:

I agree! The Cherohala is a much better scenic road than the dragon and was a much more enjoyable ride. You'll want to watch you speed on the BRP during a holiday weekend.
Oh I agree. We rode the dragon down then stopped at a little shop for a burgar. The took the Cherohala. It's a great ride. The blue ridge is another great ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com

The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride. Watch your speed, especially in TN. The speed limit is 30 mph and is very poorly marked, but is enforced.

I found the Tail to be extremely crowded on the Sat. before Memorial Day last year. The sport bikes dominate. I think it is over-hyped. There are plenty of good mountain roads to ride, for example US routes 250 and 33 that parallel each other west of I81 in VA and run west into WV.

We rode the entire length of the BRP from Waynesboro, VA to Cherokee, NC. It is a great leisurely and scenic ride. Speed limit is 45.

Along the tail of the dragon

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/mortonp/1a0e8695.jpg

On the Cherohala Skyway

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/mortonp/b15130cd.jpg

-Pete
Finksburg, MD
2002 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
58 Posts
I rode the Dragon last year, just go the posted speed limit and you won't have any problems. Also stay on the inside of your lane as others coming at you might be using the outside of your lane. Most of the time you can't see whats coming around the corner.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Shadow Kat said:
Madness522 said:
Scanogram said:

Oh I agree. We rode the dragon down then stopped at a little shop for a burgar. The took the Cherohala. It's a great ride. The blue ridge is another great ride.
The Cherohalla is one of the finest motorcycle roads on the planet. Smooth sweeping curves, very beautiful, many pull off and overlooks.

The Dragon + the Cherohalla = a very good day.

Post up if you want to meet up and ride or get a bite to eat or whatever.

Benny

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a great ride. Try your best to ride on a weekday. Weekends are very busy with a lot of sport bikes trying to out do each other. Ride at a speed comfortable for you and above all stay in your lane. If you don't trust your tires and lean, then I would probably not ride it. I have riden it and had a blast. I will do it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts