Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally going to get a mesh jacket, I'm fair skinned and don't tolerate heat well, meaning I usual would only wear a long sleeve shirt when riding, which I don't like doing I'd feel safer with my leather jacket but I would end up with heat stroke.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the above jacket....no complaints at all. Wear it year round here in Maryland....has a removable inner liner for the warmer temps

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have this one in silver and I love it! Tons of mesh for air flow plus the lighter color doesn't absorb as much heat. I had a black mesh similar to the Cortech above but the black was just too hot.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep, silver mesh jacket for warmer weather. Wife has a white one but complains it shows dirt to easily. I need a new one for up here...

Can sometimes get deals from motorcyclecloseouts.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the silver Phoenix Ion and its amazingly comfortable from about 60 degrees on up into real heat. Keeps the sun off my skin and flows a lot of air. Only complaint is the number and prominence of the Joe Rocket logos on the jacket.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the silver Phoenix Ion and its amazingly comfortable from about 60 degrees on up into real heat. Keeps the sun off my skin and flows a lot of air. Only complaint is the number and prominence of the Joe Rocket logos on the jacket.
You've touched on something, I have a major problem with many manufacturers that plaster their name or logo and very prominently on their product, if they will pay me I will gladly wear their product but I'm not going to pay for something and give them free advertising.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at one and if the advertisements can be removed I'll consider it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up the Scorpion Exo Series Jacket with removable water resistant liner. Found it at my local Indian Dealer with a nice 20% discount. Excellent so far
FFAA4B78-68CE-4EF7-B3B1-A2A43680008E.jpeg

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
You've touched on something, I have a major problem with many manufacturers that plaster their name or logo and very prominently on their product, if they will pay me I will gladly wear their product but I'm not going to pay for something and give them free advertising.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at one and if the advertisements can be removed I'll consider it.
I love my Joe Rocket jacket. It does exactly what it's meant to do flawlessly for a good price. It doesn't bother me to have the brand on the piece. Everybody puts their name on their product. They are proud of their product. What's the big deal? They don't have TV or radio commercials. They advertise by putting their name on the product and a picture in a motorcycle online catalog and maybe an ad in a bike rag. Harley plasters their name on every product they put out and people buy that over priced crap up like crazy!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
My VRX has very little writing on it..just tiny letters on the shoulder....and easy to wash.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
By the way, one issue to be aware of with the Joe Rocket is that the reflective layer they claim to include isn’t reflective at all.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Finally going to get a mesh jacket, I'm fair skinned and don't tolerate heat well, meaning I usual would only wear a long sleeve shirt when riding, which I don't like doing I'd feel safer with my leather jacket but I would end up with heat stroke.
I'm in the same boat. I don't get a tan (unless it comes in a bottle), I go straight to burn and it doesn't take long to happen. I very rarely ride without a mesh jacket, which is protective from both road rash and the sun, but cool enough to endure all but the hottest weather.

I've had two First Gear mesh jackets. I wore the first one so long that the original red color had faded into a disturbing pink-ish color. I replaced it with a new black First Gear jacket, which I didn't like as much since they replaced the velcro straps at the wrist with snap adjustments that just never fit right. If anyone is interested, it fell off the back of my bike (one of those rare times I didn't have it on) last summer in Custer State Park when I took an ill-chosen side trip down a very long gravel road...I didn't realize it had slipped off the rear rack until much later when it was too late to turn back. It's up for grabs if anyone wants to look for it, but you might have to fight some buffalo to get it. :LOL:

But I digress. I rode back into Sturgis and stopped off at JP Cycles. They only had one style of mesh jacket in stock so I bought it. It was a relatively inexpensive Z1R "Gust" model. I had never heard of it but I wasn't about to spend the rest of the rally plus three more solid riding days getting back home without some protection, so I bought it.

It turned out that I really like it. One pleasant surprise was that the removal liner was an insulated liner, not just a thin water-resistant liner that most brands seem to offer. I carry rain gear anyway so a water-resistant liner is redundant. The insulated liner comes in very handy on cooler mornings and evenings and saves myself some layering.

Con: It lacks spine protection if that's important to you. There's a pocket to put it in, but the padding has to be purchased separately. I just used the spine padding from my old pink-ish jacket.

Just offering another option to look at.

Products – Z1R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts