Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've been looking for a good deal on a GPS unit, and I finally bit the bullet. Here's what I got:

Mio C310X at circuitcity.com for $199.99

Used a 10% off coupon from AAA to bring it down to $180 + tax

The great thing about this one is you can hack it to have all the options of the more expensive units. There's a brief overview here.

The thing is only 4" x 3" x 0.75" so I plan on leaving it in my front jacket pocket and use earbuds to listen to the voice commands. Only negative is that it's not waterproof, but for the price I can figure something out :?

Hope this helps someone :D

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
AverageJoe,
I suggest just putting it in a zip-lock bag (freezer bags are thicker - last longer)
I also thought about a GPS for our trips out west, but then - getting lost is the best part of traveling for us. >PD<

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey PainterD,
Yeah, that's what I figured. And if I want it mounted on the bars to read it, I was thinking of picking up a waterproof mini camera case, adding waterproof plugs for the earbud and power, and then using pipe clamps on the back to attach to the handle bars. Just use some padding around the perimeter of the unit and it should be fine.

But you're right, getting lost is half the fun. But with this, I don't have to worry about running out of gas (hit reserve? just ask it for the nearest pump), can always find my way back, can record my favorite routes and share them with other people. Best part is you can tell it not to use highways or toll roads, so it'll find all sorts of back road ways to get places.

I'll let you know how it works out when I get it :wink:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You have a point. With the mileage range factored in, it would be nice to know how far to the next gas station. I may have to reconsider!
About mounting it to the handlebars, I use heavy strength Velcro to hole my MP3 player and FM radio to the handlebars. >PD<

·
Registered
156 Posts
PainterD said:
AverageJoe,
I suggest just putting it in a zip-lock bag (freezer bags are thicker - last longer)
I also thought about a GPS for our trips out west, but then - getting lost is the best part of traveling for us. >PD<
But Dave, with not having my GPS how would I be able to find those special roads without shoulders in SW Wisconsin that you like to disappear on & give me heart attacks. :lol:

AJ, I do love using mine on trips. It allows me to keep an eye open for roads that I wouldn't normally find. I would mount it & use it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. How detailed are the maps? I ask because apparently (if I understand the product description correctly) all the maps are pre-loaded -- and if they cover the entire US I wonder how much detail is contained. Is there any way to upload additional mapping info, such as topo maps?

·
Registered
336 Posts
AverageJoe said:
The thing is only 4" x 3" x 0.75" so I plan on leaving it in my front jacket pocket and use earbuds to listen to the voice commands. Only negative is that it's not waterproof, but for the price I can figure something out :?
I don't think you can do that. The GPS has to be able to see the sky.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Just my .02c

You can do most of the major mapping with in a 16GB drive providing the operating system is on a different device. So, in the CF (compact flash format) you can easily get industrial grade 16GB drives cost effectively. (My former business was Solid State storage subsystems hence my obscure knowledge). Garmin was one of my customer at the time. As long as your pockets are not made of concrete or steel then your GPS should be able to see enough birds to do its job. Generally, a GPS ( commercial or consumer, not military) look for 4-6 satellites event though the system only requires 3 as it is al based on trianglelation and time calculations.

Knock yourself out ( figuratively of course) and let us know how it goes.

P.S Most of these devices have a jack for an external antenna that might be a consideration of you find that the pocket idea does not work.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Grampa,
Roads without shoulders? I don't need no stinking shoulders....just need to forget about scraping the floorboards and take the corners without looking at what I'm trying to avoid...ie: the ditch!
I've been down before, and I'll go down again. The difference is I always walk away from it. Remember those dirt bike days? If I learned anything, it was how to break a fall. >PD<

·
Registered
57 Posts
AverageJoe,
How well do the "via points/waypoints" work? What I'm looking for is the ablility to place "waypoints" and the GPS plot the course that way. I've used a couple models that ignore them when a route is selected or they don't support waypoints.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, seemed to stir a bit of conversation while I was at work. So here we go...

MikeB: I've been told the maps are fairly detailed, and they're stored on the 2gb internal memory. If you unlock the device you can store additional maps on the SD drive, including topo maps. Hell, if you unlock it you can use completely different gps routing software if you want.

spoupard: I've been told on other boards that this thing can work in the glove compartment, so I'm not too worried about my pocket. I know it works in a backpack.

Dragoon: Would love to have a 16gb flash drive on this thing, but it doesn't support SDHC (high capacity), so the max is a 4gb SD card. There's a deal for a 2gb SD card for free after rebate, or -$10 if you use google checkout :) Also, this one does have an external antenna jack.

Locutisj: I believe the max waypoints out of the box is 500. I've been told it works well, but I haven't looked into how many you can store when it's unlocked.

Got my tracking info, so I'll have it this thursday to play with. I also bought the 2gb SD card (how could I pass up when I was paid $10 to take it? ;)), so I'll let you know how it works when it all arrives...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Hey all,
I've been looking for a good deal on a GPS unit, and I finally bit the bullet. Here's what I got:

Mio C310X at circuitcity.com for $199.99

Used a 10% off coupon from AAA to bring it down to $180 + tax

The great thing about this one is you can hack it to have all the options of the more expensive units. There's a brief overview here.

Hope this helps someone :D
You might look here for some mounts etc., http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=MOUNT

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
AverageJoe said:
MikeB: I've been told the maps are fairly detailed, and they're stored on the 2gb internal memory. If you unlock the device you can store additional maps on the SD drive, including topo maps. Hell, if you unlock it you can use completely different gps routing software if you want.
Well, I ordered one yesterday. They must be selling like hotcakes because they were sold out then but CC will have a new shipment in today. When you figure out how to load additional mapping info I would be delighted if you would share it. I have a Magellan Mapsend topo CD and would like to add that capability for ATV use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MikeB said:
AverageJoe said:
Well, I ordered one yesterday. They must be selling like hotcakes because they were sold out then but CC will have a new shipment in today. When you figure out how to load additional mapping info I would be delighted if you would share it. I have a Magellan Mapsend topo CD and would like to add that capability for ATV use.
Hey MikeB,
You'll want to use the program OziExplorerCE to use the topo maps, which can be found here.

I wasn't planning on using it for topo stuff, so I don't know too much about the program. There's a discussion of it here.

Lastly, I was wrong about how much memory it has. Only the initial batch of them had 2gb of space, all the new ones have 1gb. So you'll need to buy an SD card (or delete maps you don't need like canada :lol: ). Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well AveJoe, I bought my second gps today. Thanks very much :p . :lol: Actually, after doing the research, I'm impressed with this GPS for the price.
It wasn't easy finding an available one. Of about 20 surrounding CC stores, one had them in stock. Web had none to ship! So tomorrow, I go to pick it up at the store location.
My other gps is a sportrak that I use for the trails (off-road). So, there really is a need for a second since I really didn't know how to get to Canada. :lol:
Thanks man.

saint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info! I have been wanting to replace my old Garmin emap with something a little bit newer, this may be it-thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
water proof box

I have a waterproof box from RAM that I will be installing this spring for my mp3 player. This could be the answer for you. The item is called an aqua box and I purchased mine on Ebay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Average Joe, I just tried to purchase the item on CC online and used the coupon sent by email and it tells me that the item is not qualified for the 10% discount. I called CC and they told me that since the unit sold for $449 originally and it has been discounted already they will not let me use the coupon. Is this BS or what? Tell me how you purchased it with the coupon please.......

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Is this BS or what?
It's BS unless they changed the policy in the last day or so. I ordered mine online Tuesday using the AAA code, and it went through OK. Maybe they found out that it was selling too well.

Of course, I'm still waiting for mine on backorder. I wonder if they will try to weasel out with the excuse that they are no longer available at that price and will try to cancel my order. Heh, heh....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hardy Nugget said:
Average Joe, I just tried to purchase the item on CC online and used the coupon sent by email and it tells me that the item is not qualified for the 10% discount. I called CC and they told me that since the unit sold for $449 originally and it has been discounted already they will not let me use the coupon. Is this BS or what? Tell me how you purchased it with the coupon please.......
No, they won't honor the CC coupon that came in your email. That's for other future store use. However, they do honor the AAA coupon, if you are with AAA. 10% or not, it's still a good deal.

saint

1 - 20 of 38 Posts