Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my bike today. It had been a great year with it, but my wife has decided to ride with me sometimes and we need a larger bike so the Shadow had to go. I got out of it every dollar I put it in plus a few. I had fun making modifications and even more fun riding it. I made 4 long trips to the mountains and way too many full day trips to nowher to count.
As much as I have loved this bike and everything else I have ever owned that was Honda, I am a bit dissappointed in honda right now. They have a hole in their line up and even the salesman at the dealer agrees with me.
I want a V-twin with power enough to carry 500 lbs of butt and cloths, with hard bags and a passenger seat large enough for a full figured woman to not be uncomfortable for a long trip. Is this too much to ask for? I don't particularly care for the closed in feeling of the Goldwing, and the 1300 line up has some sexy styling but not a seat that mamma will OK.
I have been looking at the larger Kawasaki Vulcans and even a few Yamahas.
Oh well...bike hunting continues and while I'll probably end up with something other than a Honda Shadow, I will always keep an eye on what happens here.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
A VTX 1300R with a good wide touring seat should fit her tush just fine. I know there are some nice ones to be had, not sure what price range you are looking, but the VTX line up might work for you. My wife says the back seat on my bike is more comfy that the front seat on her Spirit. MUSTANG!
Good luck!
Coop

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have started riding other models as often as I get the opportunity, I know that with 76,000 miles I will probably be thinking of getting another bike in a couple of years. So far I have been on an 1100 ACE, 2 Vulcan 1500's and a Harley Heritage Softail. None of the above seem like suitable replacements for the 1100 Aero I currently have. I have long legs and neither my wife or I would be considered petite, the Aero by far has the most room out of all these mentioned. Unless I find something else that I like that has the room that my Aero has I will end up replacing it with another low mileage Aero when mine finally wears out. If you have the opportunity to ride one I would recommend you give it a try.
And I am with you, a Wing is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You know! The wing is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Honestly it is a sport touring bike like no other and very comfortable for the passenger.

I was not sure of it myself, I thought I was too young for such an old mans bike lol

Now 7000 miles later (got it in June) I am in love and loving it :)

One of my friends ride a GSX1000 and the other a Zx1400 and I can go out and play with them all day long and still have get up and go to cruise to a resort for some camping.

my 2cents
Good luck on you hunt 8)

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
You know! The wing is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Honestly it is a sport touring bike like no other and very comfortable for the passenger.

I was not sure of it myself, I thought I was too young for such an old mans bike lol

Now 7000 miles later (got it in June) I am in love and loving it :)

One of my friends ride a GSX1000 and the other a Zx1400 and I can go out and play with them all day long and still have get up and go to cruise to a resort for some camping.

my 2cents
Good luck on you hunt 8)
Couch Rocket! A wing is in my future. The wife takes a nap and I roll 100 mph for 7 gallons of fuel :D

There ya go :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
As much as I have loved this bike and everything else I have ever owned that was Honda, I am a bit dissappointed in honda right now. They have a hole in their line up and even the salesman at the dealer agrees with me.
Boy - this is a sentiment that I hear over and over from long time Honda owners (save for the ST). I know some Wing owners who want another bike but they are none too impressed with with the current lineup and the name I here most is Victory. One guy I know is about to sell his Wing and get some type of sport tourer. I don't think Honda has done enough to satisfy their long-time customers in order to retain their loyalty.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't think Honda has done enough to satisfy their long-time customers in order to retain their loyalty.
+1 on this. If I could find another low mileage Aero I would consider buying another Honda.
But there is absolutely nothing in the new line up of Honda that peaks my interest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the wing feels like a two wheeled car to me. Maybe for some that is the draw. I also feel a bit cramped on a wing and really like the feet foward riding position of a cruiser. I am 6'5" and 250 and have bad knees.
I think the Victory Kingpin Tour Deluxe is just about the sexiest bike ever , but she says the seat is too small. She is 6' tall and lets just say... full figured.
I suppose I could look at used VTX, but they don't have matching hard bags and I really want that.
We've just started looking.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the vtx1300r has my vote. they are great bikes. that's what i ride and i'm lovin' it. (see sig pic below :D)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you are looking for a new bike, check out the Victory lineup. For a used bike, don't overlook the Valkyrie which has it all. I have Ultimate seats on mine and I guarantee you that your wife's tush will be ecstatic sitting on one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.