Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 96 vt1100 ACE, it was cheap, did come with a soft-ball sized dent on the left side, about 3/4 inch deep......no charge, what is the best way to get this bumped out to the point where I can do the finishing touches, bondo, paint etc....I've heard that there are shops that cut the bottom out and bump the dent out that way, then weld up the tank, other shops use the newer spot welded pull pins to pull the dent out...any ideas?.........how to clean the tank of gas fumes before repair?....thanks, Mick......... :?:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
The easiest repair is to put a softball size dent on the right side of the tank and paint the letters OCC somewhere on the tank. 8)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Paulie said:
The easiest repair is to put a softball size dent on the right side of the tank and paint the letters OCC somewhere on the tank. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A girl I work with asked me if I had ever seen that show. Said they *build* some cool bikes. I proceded to educate her on the meaning of the word "build." She didn't seem to get it. :?

·
Registered
188 Posts
pull pins sounds like the easiest route, but really depends on the dent. With the pins you shouldn't have to worry about fumes too much.

Talk to a body shop and see what they will charge to get the dent out and smooth it up. Might be worth the money to have someone else do it.

--BB

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Paulie said:
Naw, the easiest way is to drain all the gas out, then hold a match over the open gas filler hole. Straightens it right out. I actually saw someone do that once. Please don't try it though.

sanoke

·
Registered
327 Posts
sanoke said:
Paulie said:
Naw, the easiest way is to drain all the gas out, then hold a match over the open gas filler hole. Straightens it right out. I actually saw someone do that once. Please don't try it though.

sanoke
LMAO. Is there a youtube of that? Sounds like a "y'all watch this moment". LOL

·
Registered
942 Posts
[LMAO. Is there a youtube of that? Sounds like a "y'all watch this moment". LOL[/quote]

You mean, that's not how to get the ding out???? :? :shock: :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
beowulf said:
sanoke said:
Paulie said:

sanoke
LMAO. Is there a youtube of that? Sounds like a "y'all watch this moment". LOL
Sounded like a good idea at the time!

Bruce

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paulie said:
Then you treble the value of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Paulie said:
Absolutely perfect!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am a retired autobody manand ive fixed more than my share of bike gas tanks.the best way is to have a bodyshop do the metal work for you.And pull pins are the best . But if mony is a problem there are other ways. On some dents they can be pulled with a suction cup, or you cn try to take a pry bar and push it out.Most shops around here will work on anything.But if you decide to care it to a shop. I would advise you to remove the tank. It my prevent you from having to deal with overspray on the rest of your bike. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Take it off, fill it 7/8 full of water, and put it in your freezer. It should push it out.

I've heard that holding your tank with the filler over your car muffler (car running) will neutralize the gas fumes... but if you try it... don't blame me if it goes wrong. :twisted:

·
Registered
949 Posts
sanoke said:
Paulie said:

sanoke
Well now, that explains the lack of eyebrows......

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used the pops a dent on my tank with a softball size indent cuased by my knee. There were no creases in the dent and no cracked paint. It worked perfectly, you could not find the dent now if you did not know it had been there at one time. I paid about 20 bucks for the kit. You should try it first and if it doesn't work for you the cost is not that high. I picked up my kit at advance auto stores but i would think any auto type store would carry the kit.
Jeff

·
Registered
139 Posts
I paid about $1000 for a new, painted, branded gas tank for my Spirit from a dealer last fall. I wish now that I would have tried to fix it. It would have been alot cheaper.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
dent

Had a dent in my tank on the left side from the mirror when I fell and slid. I stripped the paint off and filled the area in with JB Weld. It's tough to sand but came out fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used my compressor and air gun to pressurize the tank and it worked perfect, can not even see where the dent was. But YOU gotta make the judgement call " how much pressure", you could end up with nothing but scrap sheetmetal. I was fully prepared to purchase a new tank if needed.

That water and ice post also sounds like something I would try. Both of these methods will remove the dent (maybe) without damaging the paint, if that is what you are after.

If you go the new tank route the best OEM prices I found were at http://www.servicehonda.com/. My tank was $750 there and many places wanted over $1000. Could not believe the price difference for identical items.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts