Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I don't condone urban street racing, and I'm mostly a law abiding guy, but where I live there are miles of deserted 2 lane blacktop. Riding with a buddy yesterday, he has a carbureted Yamaha Road Star 1700 with Cobra slip ons and a Cobra jet kit. We decided to do a little one-on-one for a mile or so from a dead stop. Bottom line, he smoked me from the start and I never caught him. Both our bikes have a top end of just over 100, and he never got more than about 5 car lengths ahead, but I just couldn't catch him with my stock 750. Darn it, I knew it was a bad idea to put in the jet kit for him:mrgreen:

Time for nitrous...?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised as he has 1000cc more than you, and a jet kit with pipes.

Also, gearing has a factor in drag racing. Not sure how the Spirit vs Road Star is geared, but I know my Sabre 1100 can smoke Spririt 1100s in a 0-60 battle, due to the Sabre being geared lower.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Now, I don't condone urban street racing, and I'm mostly a law abiding guy, but where I live there are miles of deserted 2 lane blacktop. Riding with a buddy yesterday, he has a carbureted Yamaha Road Star 1700 with Cobra slip ons and a Cobra jet kit. We decided to do a little one-on-one for a mile or so from a dead stop. Bottom line, he smoked me from the start and I never caught him. Both our bikes have a top end of just over 100, and he never got more than about 5 car lengths ahead, but I just couldn't catch him with my stock 750. Darn it, I knew it was a bad idea to put in the jet kit for him:mrgreen:

Time for nitrous...?
:shock: Sure...blame it on the bike. :p...:lol::lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like that 1700 needs some work! If yall went a whole mile and he was only 5 car lengths ahead then something ain't right.
My 750 should run a mid 14 second quarter mile. I know the Honda 1800s run mid 12s so I'm guessing that that 1700 might run in the 13s somewhere. Not sure of it's weight and gearing.

The difference between a 13 second quarter mile and a 15 second quarter mile is maybe a little more than 5 cars... At a quarter of a mile. Usually by then the trap speeds are at least at 80mph.
He had to have let off and just cruised at 100-110 or so. I've done 100+ on my 750 (on the speedo at least, which is off I know), but it didn't take a whole mile to get up to that speed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The other day I was driving my Subaru on the highway and a Ferrari blew by me and I couldn't catch him.

I wasn't surprised.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I agree, that Yamaha should be ashamed unless he had a couple girls on with him, then it might be respectable!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sure. I'm an optimist:D.

His Yammie is a really heavy bike, all metal, not much plastic. I was hoping I'd at least pull him through first and second. I've ridden his and it is a real torque monster.

Actually I didn't hope to beat him, just having some fun. I was pleased that my little 750 did as well as it did. And, yes, even from brand new, the 1700 seems to top out at around 105 or so. I noticed some folks asking about the low top end over on the Road Star clinic and the replies are sort of disgruntled "It's not about top end with these bikes" kind of stuff.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Five lengths in a mile. There somethings wrong with the Yamaha. I know my shadow would put a stock 750 about 1/8 mile back after a mile. I also know that in a mile my 1100 would be ahead of the roadstar, pulling away.
I lost to a FZR600 once in a 1/4 by about 5 lengths, but I expected to loose. Was happy with 5 lengths. Beat him though when I started 3 lengths ahead.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, maybe he was just being nice and let off. But bear in mind, his nickname is Ming the Merciless.:shock:

Now if I was on the old VF700C Magna, all he would have seen is taillights.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Time for nitrous...?
Honestly, why bother. All you did was get your feelins hurt. ;) There's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Big B, if my feelings got hurt I wouldn't have posted. Just sharing some fun with the forum.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Jet your bike and change the sprocket, you'll pick-up a couple lengths on him. He might have 1K CC on you but he also has 300lbs more drag. Clutch on launch ONLY, that will get you another length.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dang!

I'm gonna take the opposite tack. Instead of saying "of course that 1700cc's gonna win, I'm gonna stick up for my 'lil 750 and be proud that you hung in there as well as you did.

Seriously, I'm new to all this but I'm quickly learning that displacement isn't everything.

Next time you guys are back in town, try racing him in urban traffic to a Starbucks a few miles away. I bet you win. Nimble and light has it's merits too!:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts