Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding time, that is. :D

For the first time in a week I awoke to a sky that was not grey and precipitating. I had stuff to do in the morning, but by lunchtime I coundn't stand it any longer. The memsahib suggested I might want to turn the engine over on the bike, and who was I to argue.

I had some stuff to drop by my brothers, so I 'phoned him and told him to leather up. I said that I needed to go gas up the bike but because it was kinda cold and a bit breezy we would just go to the gas station and back.

Well we didn't. This was the first time since I chopped the Shadow in August '06 that I had taken a passenger. I had gotten used to the differences in the steering at very low speeds with the longer front end but I had no idea what the impact of a passenger would be. At first I thought it actually lightened the steering but after a while I think it was actually just the same.

Now in all of my riding life I have been used to taking passengers and have never really had a problem except once when a newbie passenger leaned in the opposite direction in a tight bend and we nearly went into a wall.......... But my bro rode for many years and was always a solid passenger so the impact of him being right behind me was minimal.

We scooted out to my favourite gas station and I filled up the tank. We were not half a mile from the Norwich Southern Bypass, a fairly new piece of two-lane highway that does what it says on the tin, and bypasses the city of Norwich.

The 'bypass' section is about 13 miles from start to finish, after which it continues as a two-lane for another 5 miles or so and heads off to the east coast.

I have always been surprised at how stable the Shadow has remained with that long front end and I was keen to see if it stayed that way with a passenger. So I kicked her up into 5th and wound it on until we were cruising at an indicated 90mph and passing everything on the road.

The 13 miles flew by and the only instance of stupidity was on the part of a numbnuts in a BMW who pulled out to overtake (with no indication) as I was approaching at warp factor 9. Good job my brakes worked!

When we got to the turnoff to go back into the city I kinda forgot to turn. :D So we ended up going a few miles further down the road, then pulled off into sone smaller country roads before heading home. We had to ride back into the sum - God I hate having to do that.

Dropped the bro off at his apartment and was tempted to hit the blacktop for a solo spin, but my hands were getting cold, so I headed on home. Only got about 40 miles in, but it broke the barren spell.

Collector

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting some saddle time Graham. :D

It won't be long and you will have those HOT English Summers, (about 70F), back again. :wink:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Glad to hear that you were able to ride. My folks told me that gale force winds were hammering them today in NE Scotland.

It is the third day of rain and ice in Motown :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been raining here since about last Thursday, so I have been comping at the bit myself... so I can definitely relate.

Hopefully it will clear up soon ... cold or not... gotta get on the road. Still no wintery weather here and no sand yet on any roads... so as long as its dry... I will be out there :)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Had a nice 200 mile ride yesterday, great weather,sunshine, blue skies, 70 temp.
We will pay for it this week though, that system that just dumped on the midwest hits tonight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm glad you got a break in the weather,for some riding,even a short ride is fun compared to none.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Graham, nice to see that you're getting some miles in still...! I'm starting to feel the bike-withdrawal-symptomes real bad!

Have you been down to King Edwards to show off your new front end yet? (And I'm not talking about recent plastic surgery)

Snuf

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
90 mph, huh? It sounds to me as if the local constabulary around Jolly Olde Norwich has been a little lax. As soon as you buy your non-refundable ticket to the US you had better curtail such scofflaw behavior lest the flight leaves without you while you cool your incarcerated heels courtesy of HM's hospitality. I always hate going to the airport to greet an empty seat. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts