Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welded tabs to my crash bar to mount my new LED auxiliary lights BUT now if they are wired to my headlight I get a choice,on with high beams OR on with low beams.What you think??(Or just wire direct power/ground/toggle??)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd go direct if you can. Another rider on here, posting about aux lights, made a great point that they could possibly be like a back up if you lose your head light.
Any pics of the tabs on bar? I installed a bar back in the fall and am looking into aux lights as well.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
I have mine on a separate switch and fuse.
Good to have aux control circuits not adding a load to the ignition switch.
And if a wire shorts out on them the rest of the bike is still OK.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
They should not be wired direct to your headlight. The headlight power goes through a contact in the start switch that isn't rated for that much current. I would wire them through a relay powered from the battery and enabled by the headlight.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,251 Posts
They should not be wired direct to your headlight. The headlight power goes through a contact in the start switch that isn't rated for that much current. I would wire them through a relay powered from the battery and enabled by the headlight.
With using the headlight as a trigger with it comes down to do you want them on high beam or low beam trigger and the ability to do this legally may have local rules to follow, the headlight is on all the time but it may be the high or low circuit that is activated.
I think the use of a separate line with a fuse and relay makes a heck of a lot of sense, I'd want to tie it to a separate switch and also the key switch so it can't be left on when the bike is shut off.

There is my two cents, which are no longer legal tender here, so bear that value in mind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awsome advice and I'll try to go direct,whats one more (live) wire hanging off that battery?? Got my "Tender" on there now....

Also a key hot means getting to those wires and sticking that very pointy tester "light" there for a good hot + connection,course you have to make sure its not just "key hot" but "key/bike running hot" too !!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I recently installed a tach and it has a light so I needed a power source.
There is an ignition controlled accessory plug inside the headlight bucket that I used.
I just filed 2 spade connectors narrower to fit into that plug.
You could use that connector as a power source and have an on/off switch down stream in that circuit, I don't think you really need a relay as LED lights don't draw much.

Look for that plug in the headlight bucket,
:)
Edit: I used this hinged P clamp to mount the tach, could have been an alternative to welding tabs on your "safety" bar:
Amazon.com: Kuryakyn 4018 Motorcycle Lighting Hardware Component: P-Clamp with 5/16" Mounting Hole, Universal Fit for 7/8" or 1" Diameter Engine Guards/Tubing, Chrome, Pack of 1: Automotive

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,028 Posts
Mine are wired to the low beam (legal setup) and stay on regardless if you lose the low beam. I use a wired manual handlebar mounted switch.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got them hooked up,did direct with lighted Toggle someone suggested.Heres the "tab" I had to weld into my crash bar.Its actually solid 'cause you wiggle the tab,the bike moves!!Thats the rough mockup,I did smooth weld/hide wires too.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Yes, State Laws is an easy find in the link MRF Link in my signature...
However, MOST States it is illegal to have them wired into High beam...

It is ALWAYS BEST to have it Legal,
Dennis

BUT I sometimes "Bend" those rules ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why did you weld tabs to the crash bar instead of using brackets to mount them, so they could be moved around, if needed? That's what I did with a set of spotlights and a set of speakers attached to my crash bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts