Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever got the gout. I got it in my shifter foot and man...talk about putting a damper on your riding. Hope to get back out soon. :cry:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep. Gout bites. Sometimes I have it in the traditional big toe, but more often it gets me in the ankles.
(1) DO NOT GET DEHYDRATED. The cautions about staying hydrated while riding apply double to us. Dehydration brings the beast on.
(2) If you don't have something prescription for it, try Aleve (naproxen). First sign of it I double-dose (okay, so I'm flirting with practicing medicine without a license...), drink lots of water, and repeat dosage at about half the label interval until it lets up. If you don't let it get a head start on you it doesn't get so bad.
(3) Drink red fruit juice. Lots of it. Black cherry is good. Avoid beer (vitamin B, I know, but avoid it anyhow) because it also tends to dehydrate you.
(4) I also find that good high-top riding boots (once I grimace and holler to get them on) help keep me a little more comfortable while operating the foot controls.
Good luck
-G

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup

Exactly! Putting my boots on is a killer. I tried it yesterday and it was a no go. The doc gave me some pain killers to help hold me down if I need them, but you cant ride taking that stuff. All of your suggestions were just about exactly as she recommended. The only one that hurts is no beer. :eek:

This is my first dose of gout and I dont wish this on anyone.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have already started on the path to recovery, I wont let it get this bad next time.

JP

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have had the Gout for several years now. As has been said it is not possible for you to drink enough water. I gave up beer 2 years ago. It was like playing russian roulette. I could drink cases in a weekend and have nothing or one with a slice of pizza and have an attack that lasted days. You will also want to avoid food rich in purines. Unfortunately this includes everything that tastes really good.

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Diet/Low_Purine_Diet.htm

Once you get it you will probably be stuck with it for life. Go see your Doc about getting put on allopurinol to prevent attacks.

And you might want to look into a heel/toe shifter. :wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Darwin333 said:
ok the normal idiot stick question... what is Gout?
The technical answer:
Inflammation of a joint, usually in the foot, caused by precipitation of uric acid crystals. Similar to a kidney stone in the toe.

The real-world answer (from someone who's had them both):
Put your finger in a vise and turn it as hard as you can.
That's the kidney stone.
Now tighten it six more turns.
That's the gout.
:twisted:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Darwin333 said:
ok the normal idiot stick question... what is Gout?
One of the chemicals in your blood is uric acid.
If your bloodstream has too much uric acid in it,
the acid collects around the joints in your hands and feet and
crystallizes in to a salt.
It causes your joints to swell up, mostly
in your hands and feet.
It often is very painful and can be debilitating.
It has the same affect on you (pain wise) as acute arthritis.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
the gold standard med. for gout is allopurinol. :wink:

Pain killers are just a band aid. this med. actually works with no side effects.
i know i take it on a reg. basis.

it is used to prevent kidney stones too.

i have had both..... passing a kidney stone is the worse pain i have ever
had in my entire life. i thought it was even worse than gout.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not fun

The funny thing is my dad has complained of gout pain for years and I never really appreciated what he was saying. My 2nd hobby is throwing horseshoes and I cant count how many times he has backed out saying his gout was acting up and I would say come on it cant be that bad. He would say, son one day you will find out. Sure enough I got it 4 days ago and it was a real eye opener. Sorry dad, you are the man! He had it in his throwing hand and after much pestering he would play because he knew I wanted to.

He takes allopurinol everyday and I mentioned it to the doctor but she said due to this being my first episode we will monitor it and if it starts to resurface on a regular basis she would prescribe it.

I dont know about kidney stones, but if it is worse than this ....god bless you. This has been the worse pain I have ever felt. I could not have a sheet on my foot without wrenching in pain.

Thanks for the ideas, I have drank 6 large glasses of water today and feel like a bloated cow. :shock:

JP

·
Registered
24 Posts
I here its caused from drinking beer and eating wild game. If this is true I should be getting it any day now. My father in law has it, he finally found a doctor that told him it's ok to drink beer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup

Doc told me to hold off on the beer, I dont drink the hard stuff, just a few beers a week, but I love raw oysters and they are said to be real gout starters. This week has been a real downer. I have a wedding to go to Saturday night that will be a real party. I guess I will be the designated driver :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Couldn't believe what I saw when I read the word "Gout" as a topic. I didn't ride yesterday or today because of a gout flareup in my left ankle.

Here's how I treat it when it occurs: At first sign of soreness, I get out the ice pak (I've got the gel pouch with velcro fastener) and wrap it around my ankle. I start taking Ibuprofin (Advil), drink lots of water and stay off my foot as much as possible. I use the ice pak several times a day - it reduces the joint swelling and when the swelling goes away, the pain goes away. At beginning of 2nd day most of the pain and swelling is gone and it continues to improve all day. (I have been riding my bicycle today for exercise). Sitting here now with ice pak and the pain and swelling are 98% gone.

I WILL ride tomorrow - just installed rattlebars' peg relocation kit on my Valk today!

Keep the shiny side up and be safe...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow

I posted this topic just to get some feedback, had no idea I would get such a response. I never knew so many people had the same problem. I just took the ice pack off about a half hour ago. I never thought to use unitl Tuesday night, I went to bed around 10pm and the pain was so bad I laid there watching tv until 2am, took 4 tylenolys and it did nothing (this was before I knew what I had), then the wife woke up and said you want an ice pack, nothing to loose said why not. Half hour later pain was manage and finally fell aseep. Got to love a good woman :lol: Just wish she had woke up earlier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
droy said:
the gold standard med. for gout is allopurinol. :wink:

Pain killers are just a band aid. this med. actually works with no side effects.
i know i take it on a reg. basis.

Allopurinol is the answer! Cheap generic, I get it via mail order for $3 for 90 day supply. Got to your doc and get it. Take 1 300MG pill a day. Colcichine(sp) will knock it out quickly but Allopurinol will keep it from coming back. I am 49 and have had it since the early 80's. My case was not what I ate. Body just did not process it correctly. PAIN is bad, can't stand a sheet to touch it!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I like the vise analogy. I always tell people that it is like having a woodscrew driven into the joint/bone and just when you think you are getting used to it someone turns it another half turn.....real slow.

You get Gout because your kidneys cant process all the uric acid. So now you have uric acid cruising around your bloodstream and should you get a wee bit dehydrated (diuretics like alcohol and caffeine will speed this up) the uric acid falls out of solution and crystalizes in your lower extremities (usually). If yours is like mine then it also gets HOT!!! where it has presented itself. Dont be fooled to think you can get it just one place. I have had it in my left foot, right knee and both heels.

Foods rich in purines cause uric acid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a form of rheumatoid arthritis for around 10 years now. Until reading this thread tonight I never realized how similar gout was in the way it attacks your joints through impurities in your bloodstream. I just turned 39 and know that in the years to come it will only get worse, so I try and live my life to the fullest and enjoy every day. This is why I started riding two years ago.

The finger joint in the vice analogy is one I use frequently when I try to explain to people what it feels like. What bugs me most about it are the people who look at me and say "what do you mean you have arthritis......that's an old person's disease." They usually don't understand the difference between rheumatoid and osteo arthritis. Osteo is the wearing out of joints over a period of time, whereas rheumatoid can affect you at any age.

Don't let it get you down too much. I remember being really depressed for awhile when I first got diagnosed, but you'll learn to live with it in time.

On another note, can someone explain what purines are? What types of foods have them?

·
Registered
58 Posts
JPDEISEL, a friend of mine died last year and the cause was raw oysters. I guess it is rare but some raw oyster's are deadly. He only ate 4 of them as an appitizer before his dinner. His wife had 3 but she was ok.. I just couldn't believe it. He was a good friend.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I can tell when one of me co-workers has had to much sea food by the way limps. He drinks Pure cherry about 12oz for breakfast from Trader Joes, and by the end of the day he is walking fine. Just carry some tp with you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts