Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks all

Thanks all for the tips and advice. If it reoccurs I will probably go on the meds. Kind of a wait and see approach.

I have heard oysters are not that good for, dang shame becasue I love them. One thing I always do is smell them before I eat them. If they smell funny I toss them. But I can truly say I will cut back for a while.

Newly- you just made my day!

Foot feels better today, hopefully I can ride this afternoon. :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Allopurinol, which directly reduces the uric acid level, is the answer IF you have chronically elevated levels.

In some cases, like mine, the level isn't that high, but apparently there is genetic disposition built into some folks' joint structure that makes it more sensitive to small increases. Since allopurinol is basically a once-on-always-on medication, and my episodes are widely spaced (now down to 2 or 3 a year) my doc prefers treating it with anti-inflammatory.

True anti-inflammatory drugs like naproxen (and the once mighty Vioxx) really do reduce the inflammation and help the circulation, which in turn helps the bad stuff dissolve back out of the joint.

Plain ol' pain killers are indeed a bandaid, and a danged ineffective one at that. Really strong ones with hydrocodone will make you wreck your bike. Colchicine and indomethacin are the pits, they can give you a withdrawal headache that's almost worse than the gout.

Purines are an amino acid family (or something like that) which your body uses to make uric acid. They are naturally high in some seafood, most organ meats, and I forget what else. Other foods (like beer) that don't contain purines but have a diuretic effect can also cause attacks. I don't have any problems with an occasional beer or two, but if I start knocking down two a day for a while, I'll be in for it.

What makes the pre-emptive strike with naproxen work is that swelling inhibits the circulation in the area, which slows down the body's ability to re-absorb the crystal. Kind of a vicious cycle. If you knock down the inflammation, the circulation improves, and Raquel Welch and Donald Pleasance can get to the site and .... oh, wrong story... anyway, good luck to everyone who has this miserable problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone here ever got the gout. I got it in my shifter foot and man...talk about putting a damper on your riding. Hope to get back out soon. :cry:
Looking back on it, since I was just diagnosed with gout, I think I’ve had it since I first started riding my mini bike at age 13.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
I've never had gout but oddly enough my brother had it when he was 17. We made fun of him for years because it is labled as an "old man" ailment. He also got shingles at a very young age so clearly he was a 67 year old man impersonating a 17 year old

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,338 Posts
Just realized the date. My bad. Where do these dead threads keep coming from?
Seems like mostly new members being told to use search and advanced search and then not checking the date. I think the date should be more obvious or perhaps a date check could indicate the previous post date when attempting a reply? This would save Spiritman's time. Maybe his Necromancy warning image could pop up if a member replies to a thread when the last post was x years aqo?

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,763 Posts
I don't know if it is new members being told to use the search feature. |I do not see many established members prompting new members to search. I think it is more of a matter that new members are doing general searches or searching for a specific issue and come across an old thread and jump on in. I just find that there is not necessarily anything wrong with resurrecting an old thread it's when a new member is specifically responding to or asking a question of the original poster that has not been on the forum for years that gets annoying.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,338 Posts
I don't know if it is new members being told to use the search feature. |I do not see many established members prompting new members to search...
Yes perhaps it was just something that happened when I joined and members who did not use the search function were jumped on so I always remember that. Maybe difficult, but again, a date check warning when replying to an old post might be useful.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,457 Posts
Several times i was looking up some general Honda information and Yahoo showed a thread on here. So they may pop up after some years just because it is an answer to someones question and a search engine finds it.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,338 Posts
Several times i was looking up some general Honda information and Yahoo showed a thread on here. So they may pop up after some years just because it is an answer to someones question and a search engine finds it.
Looking up old posts or searching using this site or any search engine does not resurrect old threads. Replies do. I look through old posts all the time but if I read a post that is more than a few years old I would just start a new post since the participants, the issue and the originator have completed the discussion and moved on.

G.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Had my first gout attack two years ago...it was a dirty mother...nothing helped for three days...since I'm not a big seafood or organ meats eater, it eventually came down to one of the other possibilities...HFCS- High Fructose Corn Syrup. In other words, Soda...Pop...Cola...etc...

A switch to mostly water for drinking has kept it away, except for the month I fell off the water wagon and got a pair of 2-liters...drank 'em over a weekend and whammo, the ache started in my big toe joint again shortly after I finished the second 2-liter. Bought some cherry juice & drank that & more water until it subsided.

I don't like pills, so taking a regular dose of anything is unlikely to be sustained for more than a few days.
So...it's simply cutting out sodas and anything with HFCS in it...which is most processed foods these days. On the upside, loosing weight and not having Gout pain is worth it :)

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,338 Posts
Had my first gout attack two years ago...it was a dirty mother...nothing helped for three days...since I'm not a big seafood or organ meats eater, it eventually came down to one of the other possibilities...HFCS- High Fructose Corn Syrup. In other words, Soda...Pop...Cola...etc...
I stopped soda quite a few years ago when I could no longer see my feet. My problem was steaks and seafood (and probably beer). What I did was research foods that reduce gout and chose the ones I already liked. In my case yogurt and larger portions of green beans have allowed smaller steaks. While my beer intake has remained stable, I can see my feet, and gout has not recurred.

G

21 - 34 of 34 Posts