Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all. I'm sure everyone is thinking about the new GPS's now being made for motorcycles specifically. Last summer I looked at the Tom Tom and thought it was great. Within a few minutes I had managed to set a route and had a feeling for how it worked. It seemed relatively user friendly. I then tried the Garmin, which I got nowhere but frustrated with. But this year Garmin has come out with the Zumo, which is also specifically made for bikes. I played around with it and it seemed like I managed to get a feel for how it worked much more easier than the older model. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with either, or has been fortunate enough to make any comparisons between the two. One very large advantage of the Tom Tom is that it seems to be roughly $200 cheaper, and comes with a blue tooth. I know gettling lost is all part of the fun of it, but unfortunately, at some time we need to get back home. Having a little help would be great.

Thanks in advance for any comments, I know everyone really appreciates the time and effort it takes to write up comments continuously on this site. Expecially for nuckleheads like myself

Bocco

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have used several Garmin GPS models on various bikes, mostly touring bikes. Started with a GPS V, then a Streetpilot III, next a 2610 and currently a 2730. I ride with a friend that has a Tom Tom on his bike, and another that has a Iway. They all do their job, but I have had trouble with the screens in two (2610 and 2730) Garmins. Good PR and quick replacements, but still had a problem.

The Tom Tom is a couple of years old, and does just about anything the Garmin did, has never failed, and as you said, is cheaper.

The Iway has a larger screen, is easier to read, and does not wash out under bright conditions. But it takes up quite a bit more room.

None of us have tried them yet, but I think my next shot at a GPS will be the Magellon. I think I have had my last Garmin.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Make sure you get a Tom Tom Rider as that is motorcycle ready and semi water proof, just heard that Garmin is coming with a lot of updates for the Zumo, so check that out, good comments on both, all depends on what you feel you need, I'm still using the GPS V Deluxe (which no longer is made) and it works ok for me at this time, but seriously looking at one of the two mentioned above.

·
Registered
80 Posts
.. the good thing about the TomTom Rider is that it's water resistant, like Eldorado have mentioned... bluetooth.. able to receive traffic and weather conditions through gprs.. but .. $600!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got a standard "geocaching-style" Garmin eTrex Vista Cx with a handlebar mount.

Sure, the screen is pretty small, but in my opinion you shouldn't be looking at the GPSr while rolling anyway, so at stop signs and intersections I can see the smallish screen just fine.

Mine takes a MicroSD card, I have a 1gig card, with most of the midwest loaded onto it: including all service stations, hotels, restaurants, etc.
Plus, I have topo and routing.

Not too bad for under $300.

-K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garmin iQue 3600

I have used a Garmin iQue 3600 on my Honda Shadow Spirit for sometime. I have a Peligan waterproof case for it as it is not weatherproof.

One feature which I feel is necessary is being able to listen to the route commands rather than watching the GPS screen.

Also, the 3600 does so much more than be a GPS. Note that it is now out of production but you can still buy it refurbished on E-Bay. It also is easy to connect to your computer and download or upload as needed.

In any case, I want a GPS on my bike. Many times I ride the backroads and have no idea where I am but when ready to come home, I simply tap home and away I go.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Since I've only been a Garmin user (currently a Gpsmap 60CS), I can't comment on other brands. But I have noticed that some users (my wife, for example) just cannot cope with Garmin's interface while others (me, for example) find it friendly and intuitive. So I've come to the conclusion that it's important to understand how you relate to a particular vendor's interface before dropping the $$$ -- and have yet to find a review that helps me sort through the issue.

The point of my post? Get some hands-on with the units you're considering and figure out which works for you.

BTW, the best use of a GPS is not to protect you from getting lost; it is ensuring you can get back to that "special spot" that you accidently found. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
adlowe said:
BTW, the best use of a GPS is not to protect you from getting lost; it is ensuring you can get back to that "special spot" that you accidently found. :D
Damn straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts