Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what type of gps units ya'll use on your motorcycles--do you have the ones with the blue tooth capabilities so you can hear through your helmet or a "regular" type?

Also, how do you mount it on your bike? do you have a handle bar mount or I believe I've also seen tank bags that have a place for a GPS?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have only used one temporarily, by sticking the suction cup mount to the speedometer glass. Clean with alcohol and tie a string to it in case it falls off.
I never use the voice (in a cage), I have trained myself to keep an eye on it. I think the voice is very annoying, especially when it is "recalculating".
Dan

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a RAM mount for my Garmin Nuvi 750.

The above photo was sort of a "proof of concept", playing around with mounting positions for my Go Pro camera and GPS. If you have a Garmin you will need the motorcycle mount for it. Don't try using the vehicle mount as tempting as it may be, it will fall off.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have a Nuvi 550 (Same as the Nuvi 500 with a different set of maps).
Although it's not a dedicated motorcycle unit, it's waterproof, has a very long-lasting battery, and is relatively inexpensive.

It's mounted on the handlebars with a RAM mount.

No bluetooth, no earphones, no nothing. At speed, I can't hear the prompts, but a quick glance at the screen or my paper notes tells me all I need to know. At going-through-small-town-America speeds, I can just hear the prompts. If I can't hear them clearly, I still can hear it trying to communicate, and I glance at screen for the info.

I rarely turn it on, mostly referring to my trip notes mounted on the tank bag. I'll travel this way for several days and still have a charge remaining on the unit by the time I get home. (Still, I recommend installing a 12V plug.*)

When I'm navigating through a town having trouble following the signs to the next route, encountering a detour, finding my campground, or just checking to see if I'm going the right way :oops: I'll turn it on for a bit.

It's also handy for finding gas stations, impromptu riding and exploring in strange areas without worrying about finding your way back to your tent, and marking interesting locations in case you want to visit them in the future.

*Like fr'instance, last weekend at Watkins Glen. After three hours walking the trail, I returned to my motorcycle, opened the case I keep the GPS in when I'm away from the bike, and found that the unit was turned on the whole time and had burnt up a good amount of charge. :shock: It turns out that the straps inside the case bunched up when I closed it and pushed up against the "on" switch. So I read my trips notes backwards to get home. If I had relied totally on the GPS though, I would have had no way to run it without a 12V plug.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have a Garmin 1490T. It's bluetooth, has a 5" screen and can be seen great in the bright sun light. Has map loading capability and can't beat it for the price. I bought a refurb one, as have many ppl I know on this unit for under 115.00 on amazon.
It's mounted in the center of my bars and powered by a hardwire cable set up.
Pics are from my go pro camera

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have a TomTom, not waterproof so carry a ziplock bag in case, it's mounted with a Robo Mount also, I don't listen to it and just watch it as it's easily moveable to see it, not very good in the bright sunlight even when using the nite screen, but it's doable, it's about 3yrs old so doesn't have all the fancy stuff the new ones have and it has a 4.3" screen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
nuvi 550, we use it on our boat, motorcycles and car. Bought specifically because it is waterproof. we use a handle bar mount on the motorcycle(ram I believe, from Amazon)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm getting a Zumo 660 soon. Will mount in the middle of my handlebars.

(I work for Garmin) :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have only used one temporarily, by sticking the suction cup mount to the speedometer glass. Clean with alcohol and tie a string to it in case it falls off.
I never use the voice (in a cage), I have trained myself to keep an eye on it. I think the voice is very annoying, especially when it is "recalculating".
Dan
Basically what Dan here said :)

It's a TomTom with mp3 player so I tune it to the radio on my wing.
The only time I listen to it is when I am in a big City unknown to me.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a RAM mount for my Garmin Nuvi 750.
I have the same set up. Bought a cheap refurb and put a lot of miles on it. I wired in a cigarette lighter under my tank to power it. I run a cord to my helmet speakers, listen to music on it also.

·
Registered
506 Posts
lucky!! the price is what stopped me from buying that one. how much discount you get? hook us up!!!
Depends on the time of year. Normally not much of a discount, but they do special sales for us a couple times a year. I've only had my bike a month, so I haven't really been watching the Zumo prices.

I'll keep you updated. :)

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Depends on the time of year. Normally not much of a discount, but they do special sales for us a couple times a year. I've only had my bike a month, so I haven't really been watching the Zumo prices.

I'll keep you updated. :)
Cheapest I have seen the 660 for is around 600.00 retail.:shock:

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 which has BT to my scala rider. The nice thing about it is that it sends directions to my headset as well as linking to my phone. So in essence the Garmin becomes the command center for phone calls and direction finding. The unit mounts directly to the fairing on my bike making a very clean installation with no visible wires.

I'm not hugely pleased with the phone audio but then I only take emergency type calls. The direction audio is very clear so I think it is more an issue with the phone perhaps but it wasn't that bad before inserting the Zumo in the loop.

For ride planning, although it might irk some folks I use the Harley Davidson Ride Planner. 1000% better than Garmin's POS route software. You lay out the route as you might in Google, then attach the Garmin to the computer and export the map out to the GPS. Has worked flawlessly for me so far.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and it has bluetooth capability and is waterproof. I bought it as a refurb from Amazon for $189. I mount it to my Valk's handlebar with a RAM mount.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. It came with a handlebar mount. I wear a Nolan N90 helmet with N-Com Bluetooth installed. I synch the GPS with the helmet. I synch my phone with the GPS.
I have a RAM ball mount made especially for my FJR. For my Shadow RS, I bought a plastic adapter that allows the handlebar mount's u-bolt to attach to the smaller 5/8" diameter windshield mount.
Pictures of this are in my album here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts