Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go on my first somewhat long ride this week. If i get a mount for my GPS will i be able to see the screen through the glare, is there anything i need to get,
Thanks,
And if i get the day off and get the ride in i will be posting some pics

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the windshield but im looking to pickup a handlebar mount. just wanted to make sure the glare isnt too bad

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It really depends on the viewing angle, the amount of sunlight, and your brightness setting.

I keep my Garmin Nuvi550 set on 50% brightness (mostly to extend battery life) and with the proper viewing angle, I usually have no problem seeing the screen. Of course, if the sun is reflecting right it right into your face, no amount of brightness will help.

Also, some GPS units may vary in their brightness setting. I think most are fine, but my daughter once bought a Magellan for her car and the display was so dim, even at max, that she returned it. The Magellan I have in my car, on the other hand, is plenty bright.

I guess if you can read the display outside while holding it in you hand, you'll be able to read it while riding, too.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Depends on the GPS - I have an old 2610 that is great on the bike in almost any condition - but the one I use in the car NUVI 14nn is really tough to see in glaring sunlight.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It really depends on the viewing angle, the amount of sunlight, and your brightness setting.
Agree with this. I use a Nuvi 755T and a RAM mount. Most times it's OK, sometimes the glare is bad and you gotta tweak the position.

I also have a RAM Aquabox (waterproof mount). Works well in the rain, 100% waterproof, and can see the screen good. Hard to see when the skies brighten up though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise. I just ordered the mount and hopefully ill get before my day off. Montauk light house should be a good first decent ride pic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You've taken the only course that will really let you know, and that is buying a mount and giving it a try. I have my handheld Garmin 60Cx mounted to my handlebars and I can see it fine except through my face shield... I have to tilt the shield up a notch or two to really see the GPS well. Strange...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, the glare shade is on my wishlist, if its an issue im all over it, thanks

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have never really had an issue with my Garmin and glare. If I do I just readjust it's position. RAM is the ONLY way to go btw. I wouldn't trust it mounted to the windshield for anything. It falls of in my pickup all the time.

t.c>

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have never really had an issue with my Garmin and glare. If I do I just readjust it's position. RAM is the ONLY way to go btw. I wouldn't trust it mounted to the windshield for anything. It falls of in my pickup all the time.

t.c>
No glare issues with my Tom Tom.
For 4500 miles it's been stuck to my windscreen and I only had a problem once!!:shock: The locking mechanism for the suction cup turned loose and it fell off:-x Black tape fixed that problem:mrgreen:

I also recommend you attach a fishing line to your GPS in case it loosens ( like mine) I hooked it to the bar for safety and piece of mind :p

Since it is portable that means ..... no screws to remove, I can bring it with me to my motel room and and plan my itinerary for the next ride:-D

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I'm looking to go on my first somewhat long ride this week. If i get a mount for my GPS will i be able to see the screen through the glare, is there anything i need to get,
Thanks,
And if i get the day off and get the ride in i will be posting some pics
It depends on the GPS, some have brighter screens then others. I had a Garmin 765T that you couldn't see for shyt in the bright sun light. I just bought a Garmin 1490T, refurbed from Walmart for 108.00. 5" screen that is easy to see in the day light. I just put the same one on my wife's bike as well. Had it 2 days after ordering on line.
Garmin 5" GPS Navigator, Refurbished - Walmart.com

They are mounted to the bars using these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270758873750&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110714348106&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

They are hardwired w/ this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400077042606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

on my wife's Aero.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the Garmin Nuvi1100, love this thing. I just tip it a little bit forward or back to adjust for the suns brightness, I can always see it pretty good.
I actually use a Garmin bicycle handle bar mount ,you wouldn't think it would stand up to the wind speed and vibration, but its never (knock on wood) popped off. I also ran a small wire loop through a hole in the back of the unit and run a small quick release "safety chain" around my handlebar's just in case. I used the same set up in my off road Sandrail for years. You also cant just grab it and walk off with it when parked.
Big B, that's a sweet deal..says you saved $141.00 over brand new and still have a warranty! Thats also a nice big screen.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, GPS is mounted to the handle bars. Seems good so far. Now i just nee a day off and im off. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you got it, pics will be up after this rain storm passes, the weather man says rain all day tomorrow so should be nice and sunny. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought half the fun was possibly getting lost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.