Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the episode of "Pinks" that pitted a $4000 '83 Suzuki GS1000 against an $18,000 '02 V-Rod. The Suzuki won and the V-Rod owner was crying!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: GREAT RACE

bondo said:
I just saw the episode of "Pinks" that pitted a $4000 '83 Suzuki GS1000 against an $18,000 '02 V-Rod. The Suzuki won and the V-Rod owner was crying!!!
I think I saw that one last year.
the Suzuki guy went to the junk yard and pulled a abandoned bike out and the V-Rod guy had the HD factory dump half a million into the bike:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I saw that one to....The clutch on the V-Rod headed south. I am not brand bashing that was what was told on the show....I guess you never know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I was going to wait and make an introduction of myself but this is a good thread to do it in. I came here from a HD forum and have been a HD rider all my life. Last year I added a Vrod to my stable and I was so impressed with it, for the first tank of gas.
Then the problems started, first the clutch then the electronics then the engine. In the year I owned it she was in the shop at least 8 months. I never missed a payment though and so in October when it was released with the new crank pin and ignition module and would actually idle for the first time I raced her over to the Honda dealer and traded it even for a used 06 cbr600RR.
First thing I noticed was how fast this 600 was compared to the Vrod. It’s amazing. Anyone who has ever ridden a HD and never ridden a CBR has no idea what they are missing.
All my Harley buddies were giving me trash about riding the Honda, I am to the point I do not care. After blowing a turbo charged Vrod out of the water in front of all my friends they still give me ****.
I know I have badmouthed the Japanese bikes before but I had never ridden one.
It’s so funny how my old crowd will talk horsepower and low end torque and yet they just fade into a dot in the rear view mirror.
Now the CBR is the most reliable bike I have in the stable.
I am sorry to have used so many words to introduce myself.
B

·
Registered
949 Posts
Spokez said:
Well I was going to wait and make an introduction of myself but this is a good thread to do it in. I came here from a HD forum and have been a HD rider all my life. Last year I added a Vrod to my stable and I was so impressed with it, for the first tank of gas.
Then the problems started, first the clutch then the electronics then the engine. In the year I owned it she was in the shop at least 8 months. I never missed a payment though and so in October when it was released with the new crank pin and ignition module and would actually idle for the first time I raced her over to the Honda dealer and traded it even for a used 06 cbr600RR.
First thing I noticed was how fast this 600 was compared to the Vrod. It’s amazing. Anyone who has ever ridden a HD and never ridden a CBR has no idea what they are missing.
All my Harley buddies were giving me trash about riding the Honda, I am to the point I do not care. After blowing a turbo charged Vrod out of the water in front of all my friends they still give me ****.
It’s so funny how my old crowd will talk horsepower and low end torque ad yet they just fade into a dot in the rear view mirror.
B
Welcome to the fold

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Spokez said:
It’s so funny how my old crowd will talk horsepower and low end torque and yet they just fade into a dot in the rear view mirror.
B
Welcome Spokez

Fact is, your CBR will see off my VT 1100 with no trouble, and probably in third for top end :)

I guess for me it is about reliability, low maintenance and maximising available riding time. That is why I picked my Shadow (well, that, and I like the way it looks, especially after modding it).

I don't want earth shattering acceleration, I don't care if I can't get my knee on the tarmac, and the maximum speed limit in the UK of 70mph is easily exceeded on my Shadow. A fast sports bike for me would be a license loser at the very least.

Harleys are pretty pricey here in the UK, and it is down to priorities for me. There will always be that desire for a Harley (although it would have to be a chop) and it has to be said that there is a prestige with a Harley that no-one else seems to get near.

But if all I could afford was a moped I would still want to ride!

We have quite a few satisfied Harley riders on the forum, so they can't all be bad. :wink:

Respect

Collector

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mr. Collector
I certainly meant you no disrespect; in fact the opposite is true. Growing up I have always been taught that “If you are not on a Harley Davidson you are not on a bike”. I have owned nothing but Harley Davidson. This is my first Japanese motorcycle and I now see what quality manufacturing is. I am happy with my CBR and find it to be much better than the VRod in every way. I am sure your VT 1100 is just as fine a machine. It certainly looks like it is!
I now find myself with two bikes I never want to ride and one I never want to get off. Only problem is I have lost all my “friends” from the HD forum now that I ride a Jap Bike.
That is why we are here. I do not want to get off on the wrong foot and understand you good people here have no idea what we have been through over there. I am sorry to anyone I may have offended with my posting to this thread.
B

·
Registered
622 Posts
Didn't offend me. Welcome aboard. Doesn't matter what you ride, just ride! 8)

Bruce

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Welcome

First of all, you did not offend anyone. Collector is one of the more visable and respected contributors to this forum, and sees this from pretty much the same view that I do. I do not care about top end or 0 to 60 performance. My 97 Shadow ACE 1100 has 38,000 trouble free reliable miles on it. I do the routine maintenance and ride within my 50 year old limits. I ride with Harley guys, Suzuki guys, and anyone else who wants to ride. It would frustrate me to the end to own a bike and have it spend that much time in the shop. Your Harley is not representative of them all, and neither is my Honda. Welcome , regardless of your ride. Jim Mann

·
Registered
865 Posts
Spokez,

I had a GS750 a few years ago. It made my ears ring, gave me tunnel vision, and made my watch run backwards. It was a lot faster than I was comfortable with. I love my cruiser.

Welcome by the way.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Spokez said:
Mr. Collector
I certainly meant you no disrespect; in fact the opposite is true. Growing up I have always been taught that “If you are not on a Harley Davidson you are not on a bike”. I have owned nothing but Harley Davidson. This is my first Japanese motorcycle and I now see what quality manufacturing is. I am happy with my CBR and find it to be much better than the VRod in every way. I am sure your VT 1100 is just as fine a machine. It certainly looks like it is!
I now find myself with two bikes I never want to ride and one I never want to get off. Only problem is I have lost all my “friends” from the HD forum now that I ride a Jap Bike.
That is why we are here. I do not want to get off on the wrong foot and understand you good people here have no idea what we have been through over there. I am sorry to anyone I may have offended with my posting to this thread.
B
Spokez

Apologies if I gave the impression I was offended because I was anything but! :D

However, I was offering the thought that we do have some very satisfied HD owners on the forum simply as a contrast to your own recent experience so as to 'balance the books'.

My Honda certainly is a fine machine, but it isn't and never will be a Harley. I could de-badge and mod it to the point where people who don't know bikes might mistake it for one but for what? It is what it is and I like it that way.

BUT, there is a used Harley shop not 20 miles away and they seem to have a good selection of chops as well as standard bikes (if there is such a thing with Harley) and I keep casting an envious eye over their stock list. :D But would I actually ante up and buy one? If money was no object yes I would, but that is far from the case so the reality is the opposite.

In fact these days my tastes are moving towards things ordinary chaps can build in their sheds. I belong to another (British) forum where the depth of talent is quite frightening and leaves me with feelings of deep inadequacy, given that I can barely fold a piece of paper in half, let alone build a bike from scratch.

IMHO there never will be anything to beat an old school Harley chopper, but that is what it should be - old school. Born out of the sweat of some dedicated shed based chop builder, not some arty-farty antsy-pantsy full of show chrome pretty-boy thing that cost tumpty squillion dollars. And only built for some rich poser.

Nope, not for me. Why, towards the end of last year I found a tiny oil leak on the forward cylinder head/rocker cover of my Honda. Probably more of an oil 'weep' that a leak, but all it did was make me smile at the fallibility of Honda San. And in truth I quite enjoyed just wiping it clean - something I did with monotonous regularity when I owned my Norton. :lol:

Point? I don't think I wanted to make one. Just some early morning ramblings as I prepare for another day in the service of Her Majesty's (Gawd Bless 'Er) Revenue and Customs.

And finally -
Jim Mann said:
Collector is one of the more visable and respected contributors to this forum
Jim, your kind words have caused the Collection head to swell up past the size of a pumpkin and it will no longer fit through the door frame. You are a splendid fellow your own self and no mistake. I shall fight anyone who says different!!! :wink:

Collector

·
Registered
622 Posts
morepower said:
Spokez,

I had a GS750 a few years ago. It made my ears ring, gave me tunnel vision, and made my watch run backwards. It was a lot faster than I was comfortable with. I love my cruiser.

Welcome by the way.
Is that like E=MC2?

Bruce

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dr Bob's Patient said:
morepower said:
Spokez,

Welcome by the way.
Is that like E=MC2?

Bruce
energy = 2 motorcyles .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Spokez said:
Mr. Collector
B
so you traded off the vrod and got the CBR ,whats your other bike? Sad to hear you lost friends at the other forum for that , not friends you would want sounds like . Theres a huge mix of bikes here and even when someone gets an other than Shadow they are always told to stay here. Welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aero98 said:
Spokez said:
Mr. Collector
B
so you traded off the vrod and got the CBR ,whats your other bike? Sad to hear you lost friends at the other forum for that , not friends you would want sounds like . Theres a huge mix of bikes here and even when someone gets an other than Shadow they are always told to stay here. Welcome
I also own a 1994 FHLTC Dresser and a 04 FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Yes I spend way too much time at the dealership
B

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dr Bob's Patient said:
morepower said:
Spokez,

Welcome by the way.
Is that like E=MC2?

Bruce
Just add a flux capacitor and I'd be back in 1965

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome spokez! All brands are ridden here. I personally have a 600 Shadow now, it's great, before that I had a 400 Honda Hawk, it was junk. My F-I-L now has 3 H-D bikes, one is of questionable quality (883 sportster, about 20 years old) the other two are bigger & newer and have been very reliable for him, a Heritage Softail and an Ultra Glide. I rode the softail several times.. nice bike, would love it for long road trips, but it's not suited for my back road (sometimes dirt and mud road) riding style. I guess what I'm saying is stick around, don't take offense easily and nobody else will either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The CBR 600RR is great looking bike and a great performer. Don't mind the HD faithful, just twist the wrist and let it rip. No matter what they say, they sure as hell don't like being thoroughly embarassed by a 600cc bike.

It's funny, many years ago, when the japanese only made small bikes, the Harley riders laughed at the wimpy little asian bikes. Then suddenly it changed, and nowadays they are quick to state that "it's not about performance, it's about the ride". Then they head out to the garage and work on their bikes to get them to perform. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trueseaker
I have seen the 600CC shadow first hand. It is a beauty! Low and long I like the looks of the Bike.

I plan on riding the CBR for most of next season, My dresser is due for another engine. I do get a little cramped with the ride position on the bike but wow what excitement!
I have sent the dressers engine to S&S where I get it rebuilt; this is their third time with it. I tend to ride a lot putting up to 8K miles a season on my bikes so I get about three to five years out of a HD engine. How many miles should I expect from the Honda and where do you send them to be remanufactured?
B

1 - 20 of 22 Posts