Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all:

I'm told I need to introduce myself here before moving on to other forums. I'm thinking about joining the group here, but do have some questions regarding the Shadow. I didn't start riding until I was 48 (51 now) and plan to ride several bikes until I get too old to ride. I think a cruiser is next on my list (I'm presently riding my first bike - a Yamaha FZ6 - it's a blast, but I sometimes feel like I'm on a kid's bike). Bang for the buck dictates that I go Japanese as that famous American brand is simply out of my price range. My budget is pointing me towards a 2002 or so VT1100, Right now, I'm interested in maintenance issues. I've noted several references to the much dreaded valve inspection (an issue I'm approaching with my present bike), and I'm sure with a 10 year old bike, there will be other things to look out for as well. I'd appreciate any inspection tips anyone may have to offer as well as what to avoid. Also, I've seen some references to freeway power issues. I'm used to commuting to work at or above freeway speeds (whatever the traffic is moving at) and am a somewhat concerned that the Shadow may be a bit underpowered (I'm 6-1 180 and never carry passengers as my wife wouldn't be caught dead on a motorcycle). If this is the case, I can move to a 1300 if necessary and if it would help.

Anyway, I really enjoy the Yamaha Forum (it's just like this one) and look forward to meeting a new bunch of friends with a totally different perspective!

Talk to you later:

Jay
Plymouth, MI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plenty of power...

I ride '98 Shadow ACE (VT1100 C2) and I must say there is plenty of power for the highway. I have no problems cruising at 85 mph comfortably. I often hit the highway and travel 45-50 mile trips on the weekend. No complaints. I'm 6' and 240 lbs.

My previous bike is an older CB750 and THAT bike was not a great highway bike...unless you like 55-60 mph!!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Jay, im in Jackson, Mi 70 miles west of Detriot. Im in the process of purchasing a Shadow next month. I havent ridden a bike since 1975. I rode my brothers 2003 Shadow he purchased at Town & Country Motorsports south of Jackson.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome Jay Another local Detroit area rider here, often like riding from the Plymouth area due to the great roads and less traffic west of there. My brother also has the FZ6 and loves it as well for shorter rides. It is a very quick bike.

No worries about maintenance issues on the 1100 shadows, hydraulic adjusters on the valves make adjustment obsolete. Very reliable and easy to maintain bike. I can't imagine what could be more maintenance free actually. Plenty of power for highway cruising. You may want to consider an 1100 Spirit as the gearing is higher than the Saber or Ace and makes for a smooth and relaxed highway ride. It's no rocket like the FZ6, but it does just fine.

I think a 750 might be a little underpowered and will rev higher on the freeway. The 750s also require valve adjustments.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
With the weight difference between the 1100 and 1300 the final performance will be similar. The 1300 will be better for 2-up riding with it's increased torque ande smoother at highway speeds with higher gearing. Less plastic on the older Shadows and that's always a plus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.