Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a pensioner who's finally joined the ranks of the cruiser rider. In 50 years of road biking I've had all sorts from classic Brits to modern guided missiles. To date my favourite remains the regal ST1100 Pan European for its smooth power, agile handling, reliability and comfort. Being quite short-legged and not as fit & strong as past years I decided I wanted a low saddle, but without converting a bike. A few weeks ago my son spotted an ad for a '94 VT1100 American Classic edition (imported to Scotland in 04). It's real scruffy but I couldn't resist it. Now I understand why the Shadow in its various forms has such a faithful following.

Given it's mid winter I haven't been out much yet but I can tell it's going to be a while before I get used to the riding style. I get that cruisers aren't designed for speed and I'll have to stop behaving like an invincible teenager whenever I pull on a pair of gloves. I'm sure the more sedately I learn to ride the Shadow, the easier it'll be to remember the footpegs are way further forward than I'm used to. That should help me stop wobbling while my feet are pawing around empty airspace. I discovered another disadvantage of excess speed too: you stop hearing that delicious V-twin bark from those twin straight-thrus!

Thanks to all involved for running such a friendly and informative forum. I look forward to reading many interesting posts in the future - if I can stop my feet getting blown off the pegs without serious groin damage, I'll be a Shadow rider for the long term.

Shadow.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum !
I've always been a fan of British bikes but I've never owned one. There never seem to be enough garage.
Good luck with that VT1000 !

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,928 Posts
Nice bike! The pic is a spirit though. The ACE has bigger fenders and spoke wheels. I believe the ACE also has a single pin crank for that Harley lope sound. Although the tank badging does look like ACE.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome from Alabama, USA. The wife visited Scotland a couple of years ago. Brought me back some neat stuff from St. Andrews. Her ancestry is MacNealy(? spelling). Bet you will enjoy that bike.
IMG_0022.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the messages guys. Really looking forward to summer now; the second named storm in three weeks is just tailing off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts