Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
They are supposed to be fitted with griplock..

Imagine you are pulling the bike upright to get on it, the stand is up and you pull the bike towards you by the handgrip... which slides off and the bike crashes to the ground...look up youtube replacing motorbike handlebar grips..

John.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dont know if the end caps come off or not but if they dont its only a little harder. Take some WD-40 and spray into the grip from whichever end you can get the straw into, let it set for a minute or two and then rotate the grip in the same direction as if you were decelerating. The lube should eat away at the glue and allow you to remove the grip completely. Use some acetone, goo off, electric parts cleaner or whatever high flashpoint solvent you have laying around to remove all the WD-40 and let it sit for about half an hour just to make sure all is dry. During this time you can get the glue and lube cleaned off the throttle. Once all is clean and dry apply Griplock or a good rubber cement (read NOT elmers) which can be picked up at any home repair store, into the grip. Make sure it is well coated on the inside of the grip and then in one fluid motion put the grip onto the throttle with a little twisting motion to smooth out air bubbles. Ensure as you get close to your switch assembly that you dont have any glue sticking out or you could glue your grip to the assembly which is never good. Squeeze the rubbers in the grips a few times making sure the rubber is making good contact with the throttle and then allow glue to dry. Pretty sure THIS is the one I used, since it is contact cement it says to place on both mating surfaces then wait 5 minutes but not more than an hour before you mate them, I read this as a cure time of 1 hour. I did not put it on both surfaces however because I didnt want to take the chance of pushing the glue up the throttle and into the switch housing. Had no problems with mine so far and I have put 2500 miles on since the swap but ymmv.

Good Luck
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts