Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 21 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of glue you guys recommend. My ISOs came with dried up glue so I’ve got to get something else. My grips are on the tighter side so something that takes more than 1 seconds to set would be awesome. I’ve heard of people using gorilla glue, RTV Black, etc.

What’s recommended?

thanks!

Pa did a search but all the posts were a few years old.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I saw some people mentioned hair spray. How long does it actually last I wonder?

i also read about shoe goo. Anyone try that? I think I have some laying around.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,284 Posts
Hairspray is what the Motocross support crews use and they rebuild and flip bikes around in ten minutes sometimes, also used by a ton of BMX riders as it goes on easy and is ready to ride in minutes if applied correctly. Personally I used hairspray to slide on my Avon grips however they also have allen headed set-screws in the base of the grip as a backup or extra measure, when I changed my bars out and had to yank off the left side grip after loosening the set-screws it took everything I had to wrench that grip off and I’m a big guy who turned wrenches for over a decade. Yeah, it works. Buy the cheapest can you can find, they all work.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
743 Posts
Maybe try one of these...
Grip Glue

My ISO's came with dried up glue as well...maybe it's a thing...

I've used the Renthal glue, but it came loose after a while on both the Shadow and the Valkyrie Clutch sides. I was thinking of buying the cheaper Odi Brand simply because you only really get one use from a tube of a glue.

FYI, I just had the left side ISO Grip break on the Valkyrie. As I was about to ride off the other day, the end of the grip just broke in my hand. It was only held together by the rubber insert. Upon inspection, it looks like there was a casting flaw in that grip that took years to show itself. Anyway, I had a spare grip (yeah, I'm that guy who has a spare set of Kuryakyn ISO Grips in his garage) and simply stuck the grip on thinking that I'll glue it on later. Well, right now I can't move the darn thing. I'm sure it will loosen up this summer as the temps get into the triple digits.

🤓

·
Registered
650 Posts
3M Super Weather Striping Adhesive - Wallyworlld $2.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Black-Super-Weatherstrip-Adhesive-03602-1-oz/16913677?wmlspartner=wlpa&
selectedSellerId=0&wl13=4223&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9013382&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16913677&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RSYPo7BntDeXf0tswIskanQXxIoa0rtg3g0VvPEcXP_XNOtwZ-UdiUaAturEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

GoodStuff! - Put it on the throttle sleeve!, Not down in the grip, or it'll get pushed down in the end ofthe grip and gum up the return throtle response - let sit 1 minute or 2 to start to cure - then twist on into position - Let sit over night - yourGoodTogo...

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much guys! I may try the weatherstripping stuff first since it has automotive uses.

Once you put “motorcycle” on something it’s like you add a 400% up charge lol

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
Vidal Sassoon Extra Hold was in stock at the back of the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom probably dating to the time of big hair or maybe a big hair Hallowe'en revival.
As Froth says works just as good as the cheap stuff.
The big advantage of using hair spray is there is a good chance of using a small screw driver to stretch the grip to then remove it.
A person could use 3M yellow death or other evil adhesive, but then the grips are probably not reusable and need to be cut off.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
My ISO's have been on and off 4xm and 2 bikes now. I use standard Loctite SG and hairspray. Still have to be quick but use a twisting movement while pushing on. On a note, ISO's don't have full contact due to the metal panels thus sitting in the sun to soak and twisting them eventually breaks the glue loose. Mark the grip and the housing to help with positioning.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just wondering what kind of glue you guys recommend. My ISOs came with dried up glue so I’ve got to get something else. My grips are on the tighter side so something that takes more than 1 seconds to set would be awesome. I’ve heard of people using gorilla glue, RTV Black, etc.

What’s recommended?

thanks!

Pa did a search but all the posts were a few years old.
I’ve always used the Honda grip cement. Part #08712-0001. It seems expensive but one tube is all I’ve ever needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,542 Posts
I've always used a slower drying super glue. It never makes too much of a mess and gives me time to adjust the grip once I get it on.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've used hair spray before, it works. Now I use Scott's Grip Glue. Holds good and comes off with a little work without tearing up the grips. I pry the base up and squirt some WD40 in and let it set, then twist to break them loose.

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
341 Posts
I've always used rubber cement on my dirt bikes and bicycles. Inexpensive, easy to use and cleans off easily with carb or brake parts cleaner. That weatherstip adhesive will be a real PITA next time the grips are changed.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
I pry the base up and squirt some WD40 in and let it set, then twist to break them loose.
Prying isn't an option on ISO grips especially on the throttle side. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The cheapest, nastiest hairspray you can find. Look for some ridiculously low price actually printed on the can, the words "MEGA" or "ULTRA" or phrases such as "May Cause Blindness" or "Illegal for sale in California" (or whatnot).

I have used hairspray to install everything hand-grip related, from foam grip liners and heating pads to ISO grips.. It just works.. ..Cheap & Works.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The cheapest, nastiest hairspray you can find. Look for some ridiculously low price actually printed on the can, the words "MEGA" or "ULTRA" or phrases such as "May Cause Blindness" or "Illegal for sale in California" (or whatnot).

I have used hairspray to install everything hand-grip related, from foam grip liners and heating pads to ISO grips.. It just works.. ..Cheap & Works.
As long as you never ride in the rain. Hairspray is water soluble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
As long as you never ride in the rain. Hairspray is water soluble.
Never had a problem with that. Ridden through rain and hail ...both my bikes get wet, hell, my Tiger gets power-washed every-time it goes off road (and that's where it spends most of its time). ..subjected to all kinds of inclement stuff. Never once have these grips slipped on any bike I have used it on.

Has that been an issue for you?

..without getting too graphic (and after doing some digging at the back of a shelf), I found my trus-tee can of:

Suave extremehold 10 hairspray "for hard to hold hairstyles" ....."unscented" :0) ...

It's in red can (which denotes Danger and extremeflammability no-doubt! ;0) ...It's basically spray adhesive. ... Works great though!

Reactions: h13man
1 - 21 of 28 Posts