Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Never had a problem with that. Ridden through rain and hail ...both my bikes get wet, hell, my Tiger gets power-washed every-time it goes off road (and that's where it spends most of its time). ..subjected to all kinds of inclement stuff. Never once have these grips slipped on any bike I have used it on.

Has that been an issue for you?

..without getting too graphic (and after doing some digging at the back of a shelf), I found my trus-tee can of:

Suave extremehold 10 hairspray "for hard to hold hairstyles" ....."unscented" :0) ...

It's in red can (which denotes Danger and extremeflammability no-doubt! ;0) ...It's basically spray adhesive. ... Works great though!
Only once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hairspray seems to be the majority consensus.

Generally I like shoe goo or goop for just about any application but too thick, would probably be messy for grips.

And Gorilla glue is crap IMHO. I've had it totally fail to hold things it was supposed to work on, even though it was carefully applied per instructions.
And in even a moderately damp climate it hardens in the container, even if carefully sealed. And gorilla tape holds weaker than 99 cent store duct tape.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2 go to favorites have been:

Brake cleaner and/or compressed air.

Brake cleaner evaporates after a while (yes, even between the grip and the handlebar) and compressed air helps the grip slide on.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,746 Posts
The ISO's are constructed with metal outer construction with rubber panel inserts unlike full on rubber grips thus requiring different approaches to remove them. Prying isn't an option and air, I doubt there's room to get past the metal on the ends there. I have used hairspray in the past and it works but like Mark C said, the radioactive chit is the best. :giggle:

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
564 Posts
When I replaced my grips last year I didn't use anything and they didn't move.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Hairspray seems to be the majority consensus. ...
I used glue, once, but I had to remove those grips shortly after to replace a throttle tube and had to buy new grips as I destroyed them taking them off that tube. It was a learning experience. Glue sticks better.. No-doubt about that. But, sometimes you need to replace?? ..whatever ..and if you have used the glue (like I did) you are sometimes gonna-be shopping for new grips too.

..Unless you are really aping on these things to the point of trying to rip them off, if you use the cheap, sticky, megahold crappy hairspray, it bonds well-enough - just in my experience. But, then, I wasn't the first to use the stuff. I learned from the masses. "Hairspray works.." .. they said, and it does. Has done for me anyways.

A person could try it? It doesn't cost anything. Whereas glue could cost you if you need to replace ...?? some "whatever".

·
Registered
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyone use grip glue in cold weather…we’re in the 30s here. I don’t care about longer cure time…I just want it to stick

21 - 28 of 28 Posts