Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the rubbing alcohol method on installing new grips, yes i know about the hairspray,glue,soap!....but im asking about alcohol....once it dries....its rubber to bear metal and plastic. (like dry install)...wondering how does grip hold up? is it firm or does it slip over time? anyone have experience with this.....................

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I've never heard of using that. But in theory it would make sense. I've always used spray adhesive. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,578 Posts
Well I got a different way and it worked excellent. I used Loctite 454 glue on the grip. Next I applied "pump" (not aerosol) hairspray on the handle bar and slid the grip on, positioned it, and waited 5 mins. and it was set though I waited an hour or more before riding. This was 3yrs. ago. This method gives plenty of time to install.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see...last time i did the hairspray method, grip came off 4 hours later..slid off....also did glue once, but set so fast, didnt have time to set grips right....looking for a method that gives me at least 5 min of cure time ................

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
5 minutes, that seems like a long time to set the grips. Most methods will give you around 30-45 seconds probably. Not sure what style of grips you have but they really only go on one way or direction.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I am always very careful when fitting new grips on my bars..I take the old grips off, really clean and dry the bars..squeeze some grip glue into the grip and using the glue as a lubricant quickly fit the grip using a twisting movement and a quick firm push followed by a couple of quick smacks with the heel of my hand..

The reason I do this is because I watched someone pull a bike off the kick stand using the grip and then looked at the expression on his face as he stood there with the grip in his hand and the bike on the floor..

John.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, what type of glue do you guys recommend.....any available at lowes/home depot...or only sold at bike shops...........

·
Registered
808 Posts
Grip glue - I have found that the Honda stuff and the Yamaha stuff are superior to some after market stuff...

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I can only buy it at bike shops..it is called something like Gripfix and is just for motorcycle grips..

before you do anything look up replacing motorcycle grips on youtube, watch a few of them...you can't have too much information.

John.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just found my old glue...its moto pro proffesional strength glue, its for bike grips....ever heard of it and is it any good.....i also found that different grips fit differently...some tighter than others.....

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I live in a different world to you..so I have to buy what is available here...If you buy the right size grips for your bike they should be tight, it is the glue that lubricates them enough to fit..and then they don't come off..

John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts