Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing another thread mentinong ground effect lighting, it got me wondering.
How many folks have it?
How many actually use it?
Do you consider it a benefit visually?
Is it legal in your area?

When I bought my blue 08 Spirit earlier this year it came with blue ground effect lighting. I saw a toggle switch and asked what it was for. The lighting was done very well and I didn't think about it or consider it when I bought the bike. I have not turned the lights on but one time at the house when I wanted to see what they looked like. (Awesome).

Your thoughts and/or discussion?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I have Accent lighting on my Bike including 2 10" multi-color LED strips mounted on the lower tubes of the frame which light-up the ground under my Bike.

I use them every time I ride at night which when the weather is warm is a LOT.

I assume they are legal in my Area provided they aren't flashing and appearing like I'm trying to look like an emergency vehicle. I have passed numerous Law Enforcement Vehicles with the Accent lights on without an problem. In Arizona we're not as "Law Heavy" as many other states. For example, we can carry Guns both exposed and concealed without needing a permit, No Helmet Laws just to name 2.

Had accent lights on my bike about a year now and they are holding up nicely.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got curious and called the local police station a year ago and they said I can put any color lights on my bike that I'd like, but I can't have any of them on while I'm riding. My old Harley had green LEDs that looked awesome at night, but no practical application other than impressing chicks.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
I have multi colored Lizzard lights, I ride all the time at night with them on. They change colors and stuff while on, but not really bright flashing or anything. I ride with several LEO'S from my town and they have never said anything about them being illegal, go for it and beg for forgiveness if it is ever brought up by LEO's.
I have never been stopped in Ga, NC or Tenn either.
Coop

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ihave blue,under tank side frame lighting pipes motor and ground also blue led rideing lights on highways bars. Never had a problem talk to cops and ride with a few never had nothing said. How ever my rear light must stay red with no confusement with colors. Front must be white. My hw front leds I have to leave off if not parked but my tank/ frame lights are free to use when ever.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got curious and called the local police station a year ago and they said I can put any color lights on my bike that I'd like, but I can't have any of them on while I'm riding. My old Harley had green LEDs that looked awesome at night, but no practical application other than impressing chicks.

You might want to check again.. you can have them on. I have green on my bike and ride with them on all the time. It certainly makes me more visible.

Here's a quick link to the statute: Section 4310 - Title 75 - VEHICLES

·
Registered
107 Posts
You say that as though practicality has nothing to do with impressing chicks!

Here's a general take on the legality of lights: http://www.lesliekays.com/blog/index.php/2012/04/26/laws-on-lighting-your-motorcycle

Anyone know the legality in Texas?

Update: Contrary to that first link that says ground lights are generally okay (if not red or flashing), this says the exact opposite. (Contradictory information on the Internet?! Madness!).

I like the looks of accent lighting and I definitely like the idea of being more visible at night... But I still don't know if I'm allowed to ride with accent lights. :(

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input.....but,

I will check with the local law enforcement to see if they are cool with it.
It will be interesting to know.
Just for fun, I will check with city, county, and state to get there opinion.
I will post what I find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts