Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Honestly...how does one go through life with the name...Harry Baals? :shock:

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
Baʿal (Biblical Hebrew בעל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal], also spelled Baal in English) is a Northwest Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord"[1] that is used for various gods who were patrons of cities in the Levant, cognate to Akkadian Bēlu. A Baalist or Baalite means a worshipper of Baal.
"Baʿal" can refer to any god and even to human officials; in some texts it is used as a substitute for Hadad, a god of the rain, thunder, fertility and agriculture, and the lord of Heaven. Since only priests were allowed to utter his divine name, Hadad, Ba‛al was commonly used. Nevertheless, few if any Biblical uses of "Baʿal" refer to Hadad, the lord over the assembly of gods on the holy mount of Heaven, but rather refer to any number of local spirit-deities worshipped as cult images, each called baʿal and regarded in the Hebrew Bible in that context as a false god.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Cowards. Look at what Mr. Baals overcame. A ridiculous name given to him by cruel parents, to become one of the city's most successful mayors.

And they don't even have the balls to name a building after him.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baʿal (Biblical Hebrew בעל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal], also spelled Baal in English) is a Northwest Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord"[1] that is used for various gods who were patrons of cities in the Levant, cognate to Akkadian Bēlu. A Baalist or Baalite means a worshipper of Baal.
"Baʿal" can refer to any god and even to human officials; in some texts it is used as a substitute for Hadad, a god of the rain, thunder, fertility and agriculture, and the lord of Heaven. Since only priests were allowed to utter his divine name, Hadad, Ba‛al was commonly used. Nevertheless, few if any Biblical uses of "Baʿal" refer to Hadad, the lord over the assembly of gods on the holy mount of Heaven, but rather refer to any number of local spirit-deities worshipped as cult images, each called baʿal and regarded in the Hebrew Bible in that context as a false god.
So, in a nutshell, you are saying that we should worship Harry Baals?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Cowards. Look at what Mr. Baals overcame. A ridiculous name given to him by cruel parents, to become one of the city's most successful mayors.

And they don't even have the balls to name a building after him.
Like a Boy Named Sue!

That being said, there are circumstances where I don't know why a guy goes by "Harry" instead of "Hank" or "Dick" instead of "Rick" ... or whatever. I used to know a lawyer named Dick Bump. I never understood why he didn't want to be Rick Richard Rich... something else.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True story: when I was in the insurance business, I used to deal with a insurance agent (now retired) whose nickname was "Dick". Official name was Richard Head Insurance. If I was away from my desk, the receptionist (God Bless her heart!) would page me "Mark - Dick Head is on hold for you.").

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not quite as bad as Harry Baals or Richard Head, but I went to school with a Holly Berry and a Jack Frost and there is a guy that lives here in Danville named Harry Pitts. What are parents thinking when they do this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not quite as bad as Harry Baals or Richard Head, but I went to school with a Holly Berry and a Jack Frost and there is a guy that lives here in Danville named Harry Pitts. What are parents thinking when they do this?
I went to high school with a guy named .... Straiton Hard III
Yep...the third.
It was obviously a proud family name.
I kid you not.
We were amazed that teachers were able to suppress a smile when they called the roll.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I used to work for a school and in the 2nd grade there was a little girl with the name Haley Davidson. I though it was cute, but when she's 16 and all the boys are asking for ride, I'll be it seems less funny then.

Back in the lat 1980s/early 1990s one of our state congressmen had the name Dick Swett. (Remember him, CD?) How can you print thousands of 4 x 8 foot campaign signs that all say "Vote Dick Swett" without smiling at least a little?

--Justin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts