Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I ate it while exiting from the highway. About a month ago the ramp got a new coat of asphalt so there is some loose gravel and my back tire found it and slip out. I came out with only a skinned up knee so I am pretty thankful about that. My bike got the worst of it tough. Put a dent in the tank , bent the handle bar risers put soome deep gashes in my defector, ripped up the throttle cable pretty good, and scatched up the master cyclinder good. Wish I had crash bars would have helped alot. Im just glad I came out ok, so when and where was your first fall?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bikes can be replaced, you can't. Glad you didn't suffer any major injuries.

I had a spill back on Memorial day. Bike got loose on cinders on a getup to turn right from a stop. Bike went over and I fell into a ditch.
Hurt my lower back, tore my left bicep tendon and torn right rotator cuff (having surgery in late August to repair rotator).
Pretty sure the injuries came from just trying to pick up my bike by myself.
Luckily I had just installed my engine weeks earlier. I bent my right peg and a crack in a lid in one of my hard saddle bags.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
glad your alright bud.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Glad you are OK. Like it or not, I am sure you learned something from it.

About 30 yrs ago, I dumped my bike in an intersection, it was raining, wet ground, just got off interstate, and was simply going too fast. In the intersection, when I realized I was too fast, applied more brake, while turning on the wet pavement, and bam. I learned several things that day.

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always hate hearing these stories, but it reminds you to stay vigilant and safe. Take it easy, glad your ok!!!

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Why'd you do that? Letting your back tire slip out from under you. Quite that! :p
Glad you're ok. Could have been worse. :-D

·
Registered
161 Posts
that sucks man, glad you are ok though. I always get nervous when I see gravel. Bikes + gravel = no good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bummer, but glad you werent hurt!

My first was the day I first rode! Turning into a parking lot, slow speed. My brain said back brake, but my body did front break and... wham! Fortunately, no damage (had crash bar) and no hurt! Good lesson, though!

Remember, there are two types of riders.... Those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well .... that's no way to start your week. Glad to hear u r ok man!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Glad you're ok!
I laid it down 2 weeks ago when an SUV cut me off so she could get in the turning lane.
Bike wasn't nearly as bad as I envisioned as we both went skidding down the highway.
Bit of scarring on the headlight, shock cover and a nasty scratch on the 'Shadow' decal.
My paint guy says it will be no problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My first came about 2 weeks into riding. Taking a left hand turn out of parking lot from a stop. Combination of factors got me too close to the concrete burm and as I straightened the bike out the foot peg caught and acted like a fulcrum. Thankfully I was only going 5 -10 mph or so. Only damage was a few scratches on the underside of the exhaust, scratches on the underside of the foot peg and small dings at the bottom of the fork on the right hand side. Physically I was fine except for an elevated heartbeat (not mentioning the bruised ego :) ). I have even more respect for turns now and making absolutely sure I am properly setup to take them.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Sorry to read this. Take some time to heal up the road rash and fix up the ride. Then get back out there.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Where were you, Summer of 1968?
On the back of a Montgomery Wards mini bike tryin' to learn to fly as the throttle grip comes off in my hand. Technically, I wasn't riding on the street.....but I did land in it. :shock:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
We've all been there. It is good to hear your injuries are minor. I wish you and the bike a speedy recovery.

On the back of a Montgomery Wards mini bike tryin' to learn to fly as the throttle grip comes off in my hand. Technically, I wasn't riding on the street.....but I did land in it. :shock:
My first wipe out was also on a mini bike. Thankfully it was in the grass, and not on the street.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well now, that jogged my memory..Summer of 1969 as a bribe to get me to agreeably move to Alabama because you could get a motorcycle license at age 14, my dad got me a Bridgestone 60. I do have a recollection of coming down a winding road a bit too fast and hit the train tracks at the bottom.
Me and the bike went flying. Luckily we were close to home, because I had to push it the rest of the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts