Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Sorry about your Shadow!!

I pushed my start button the other day and got nothing. I put it in neutral, made sure the kill switch was not off and still nothing. Finally, after about 10 attempts it just cranked up. When I got home, I took the starter button apart and cleaned the terminals and that was all she needed. So grateful it was nothing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took few minutes to drop the bottom half on my switches to see/get to that button.Really didn't see anything...put back together. Called shop today 11/26 said they had not checked it yet(!!) Has new/charged battery...so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My '02 VLX did the same thing to me this past season.
Turned out to be the solenoid contacts. A cursory examination showed them to be perfect and shiny new. When I took the nuts off the terminals, there was some white powder on the threads. Brush up and vroooom......

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
You know the old saying "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".
So if you keep your terminals clean, you don't have to say "My God why doesn't this thing start" !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had intermittent starting. The contacts weren’t always connecting so I cut a rectangle of plastic from a phone screen protector and placed that in the switch to raise the connector. Not a problem since. I also took the opportunity to clean everything while I was in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had intermittent starting. The contacts weren’t always connecting so I cut a rectangle of plastic from a phone screen protector and placed that in the switch to raise the contact. Not a problem since. I also took the opportunity to clean everything while I was in there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys,got my bike back.Guy told me bad wiring (this I knew/suspected) told me he connected/soldered wires put new fuses...seems to start good.Strange though,still no turn signals/horn(??)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Thanks guys,got my bike back.Guy told me bad wiring (this I knew/suspected) told me he connected/soldered wires put new fuses...seems to start good.Strange though,still no turn signals/horn(??)
Maybe the mechanic thought you just wanted it to be fixed to the point it would start, and didn't want to pay for any more repairs than that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it back by there today,course he said he would have to charge me though he claimed he repaired wiring(?) Good ways from home felt something HOT on my leg/through my jeans...that freakin fatty coolant hose there in the middle,damn pinhole squirtin!! Rode PAST that shop ….20 minutes + to my own garage!!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Took it back by there today,course he said he would have to charge me though he claimed he repaired wiring(?) Good ways from home felt something HOT on my leg/through my jeans...that freakin fatty coolant hose there in the middle,damn pinhole squirtin!! Rode PAST that shop ….20 minutes + to my own garage!!
This is how repair shops operate. When you bring a vehicle in because it won't start, they repair it by allowing it to start again.

If you dent the front end of your car, and a body shop fixes it for you, you can't act surprised when you discover they didn't also fix a scratch on the rear of the vehicle that's been there for years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is how repair shops operate. When you bring a vehicle in because it won't start, they repair it by allowing it to start again.

If you dent the front end of your car, and a body shop fixes it for you, you can't act surprised when you discover they didn't also fix a scratch on the rear of the vehicle that's been there for years.
I agree but a good mechanic should at the very least check things over...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I agree but a good mechanic should at the very least check things over...
Yes, I agree with you. However, a lot depends on what the customer tells the mechanic before he is given an estimate for the job.

If he says, please fix my starting issue, the estimate and bill be lower than if he says, please fix my starting issue and my turn signals which are acting up... the bill is going to be higher.

Since we don't know what the conversation with the mechanic was, all we can do is play armchair quarterback.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
It could be a case of the worst timing possible in that the pinhole did not leak while the bike was running at the shop. Unfortunate, but things like that happen. Now that the bike is running, you can change the coolant / flush the system, and replace the hose.

Better on a 20 minute ride from the shop than 400 miles out on a 'trip' kind of ride. Hope this gets sorted out for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts