Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m very new to bikes. still learning a lot and ended up buying me a project bike. It had been sitting for over a year outside in a dirt lot. The tank was rusty as hell and the carbs were disgusting. Right now I’m just trying to get it running.
I’ve replace the hoses, cleaned the gas tank, got a new fuel pump, (for now) bypassed the fuel pump relay to make sure it’s working, and took apart the carbs and rebuilt them.
the bike turns over for a split second when I shoot starter fluid into it but then it shuts off after a few seconds. I’ve done it multiple times to try and get all the air out the hoses but it still doesn’t work.
I had taken off the carb and realized only one of them was getting gas. I checked the jets and they are all clear but I have no idea what to do next.
Any ideas?!?

2001 Honda Shadow ace 750

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,211 Posts
Are both of the carb bowls getting filled? Crank it over for about 10 seconds. Then loosen the drain screws to see if both have about 1 or 2 ounces of fuel. There is a fine screen on top of many float valves that may be clogged and the bowl isn't filled.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
Yes @swifty2014 that screen above the fuel inlet needle and seat is my first guess.
As usual you beat me to it. (-:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are both of the carb bowls getting filled? Crank it over for about 10 seconds. Then loosen the drain screws to see if both have about 1 or 2 ounces of fuel. There is a fine screen on top of many float valves that may be clogged and the bowl isn't filled.
only one is getting filled.
Which valve am I supposed to be checking?!?

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Machine

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
It’s the one at the top-right of your picture. As the float goes up and down, that valve closes and opens. If the float is adjusted wrong or doesn’t float, that will hold the valve open. Sometimes the valve itself doesn’t seat correctly. That’s either a replacement, or there was a fairly recent thread from a member that would punch a small ball bearing into the valve seat and remove it. That seemed to help the valve seal better.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,211 Posts
Unscrew that brass part and look for a fine filter on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
if the tank was full of rust, and the carbs dont work, I'd suggest pulling them apart and putting them in a Carb Spa (sonic cleaner)
a carb is only clean when its clean where you can't see.
Even though it does look like they are pretty clean and you can probably replace the floater needle and float, you're probably better of in the long run by cleaning them thoroughly right now when they are out !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts