Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its too cold to ride so I'm spending all my time just buying stuff off the internet for my bike. Two things I am really interested are a very simple, inexpensive, most-easy to install throttle lock; and hand deflectors to keep the cold air off my hands.

Has anybody installed both on their bike? Does the hand guard get in the way of the throttle lock?

What's the conventional wisdom and best hand guards and throttle locks?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I was a youngin we used to cut up half gallon milk cartons and tape them to our handlebars for wind guards. :p But I would assume that you are looking for something more classy!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't know about conventional wisdom, but I have both on my 1100 Spirit. I absolutely love my Vista-Cruise throttle lock. I wouldn't have a bike without a throttle lock now.

I also put on a set of hand deflectors from JC Whitney around Christmas. They work well, too, but the hands still get somewhat chilly. The hand deflector does not interfere with the throttle lock at all.

The throttle lock was about $30 and the hand deflectors set was about $80.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I also use both on my bike and there is no problem. The wind deflectors I use are from National Cycle plus the Vista-Cruise throttle lock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doughie said:
When I was a youngin we used to cut up half gallon milk cartons and tape them to our handlebars for wind guards. :p But I would assume that you are looking for something more classy!
Doughie what did you do for your face? :roll: Use gallon jugs with holes cut in them. I`ll bet you looked like Jason. :twisted: I don`t know why I posted this, I just did. :oops:

·
Registered
211 Posts
No jugs on the face...did I just say that? We had those cool old snowmobile helmets with the bubble shield on them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also interested in a decent throttle lock, but haven't decide on which one yet. I have the National Cycle hand deflectors, and they are a great help for riding in this kind of weather.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
none so far after 30k with it. the engage/release is positioned at the point your right thumb falls naturally so after a few trips and deliberate practice you'll do it instinctively like everything else on the bike. besides you can always pull in the clutch and use your brakes

·
Registered
78 Posts
Class Looking Lock

I have not tried the cheaper throttle locks but I did like the auto release feature of one from Brakaway Products. It is made out of machined aluminum and will release when you touch the front brake lever. For about $200 metricthunder.com can deliver you one. I installed mine in less than an hour.
8)
TRed2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts