Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen a few bikes with a small tool bag mounted to the swing arm. Thought this was a pretty cool idea, as I want to move my tools out of my saddlebags to free up some space. Having never done any leather work before I thought I would give it a try. I spent way to much time on You Tube learning about it and I have a Tandy Leather store 10 minutes from the house. Here is what I cam up with.

It is 10"l x 5"t x 4"w. I hand stitched the sides on. The straps are on with press together rivets. There is a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum screwed to the back that 3 band clamps are used to strap it to the swing arm. I wish I had altered the depth a bit so I could have the front flap longer (I might go back and add a piece). Also the bag twists to the left with the weight of the tools in it. I think I either need some kind of internal frame or maybe a couple of turn clasps on th from flap. I am open to all thoughts and comments to learn more.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Nice work on the leather, not that I've done any such thing. The swingarm is the last place I'd think of hanging some tools, just because I always thought having the unsprung weight as low as possible was a performance thing. I've also seen small bags under the headlight though.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work on the leather, not that I've done any such thing. The swingarm is the last place I'd think of hanging some tools, just because I always thought having the unsprung weight as low as possible was a performance thing. I've also seen small bags under the headlight though.
Tried under the headlight 1st, but no room because of the windshield and light bar. Not really worried about performance. Space is more important. I guess I will find out ;).

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
One winter I got ambitious and made saddlebags and tool pouch. No rivets all stitching. It was actually quite simple and since DIY I could make them to the exact measurements to maximize storage. I mount the tool pouch on my lightbar just using a strap and buckle from the rear of the bag. I used a very thick leather so no problem with shape. They worked so well I decided to make a second set for another bike. Took even less time since I knew what I was doing and had the leather "kit". The second set I used a thinner leather and found the bags would float up when empty and they were a bit too thin and did not keep their shape. Well I had some spare fiberglass so now the bags are fibreglassed inside and, with a felt liner to cover my fiberglass mess, work perfectly.

G.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Hey Tom, still making stuff for the Bike huh :D...

Nice, but i see what you mean about the lid being "kock-eyed" after the contents get shuffled.

thinking a "rim" on the sides of the lid may help, adding a strip to the sides may help and you could go around the front too if you want the front rim to come down more.

I know easier said than done ... :lol:

i miss the days when there was a lot of things i wanted to do to my bike....
i have DONE them all and now there are no "projects" left :-(.

Hey, when did you get the Ultimate Seat w/backrest ??????????

i must have missed that post of yours.... NICE!!!! Sure looks comfy!

Does the backrest go back far enough or do you wish it could go back a bit more??? I ask this about the mustang seat w/backrest too but never got an answer.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, when did you get the Ultimate Seat w/backrest ??????????

Does the backrest go back far enough or do you wish it could go back a bit more??? I ask this about the mustang seat w/backrest too but never got an answer.
:cool:
I think I got the seat about the middle of last year. A member sold her bike and I bought the front seat from her and the pillion new. The backrest does go back far enough for me. I tend to sit more upright, even in my car.

On the tool bag, I am think about a small aluminum rectangle frame around the inside near the top and riveting the leather to it.

Did you see where I changed out my headlight for a 7" one off a Sabre and built my luggage rack?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I think I got the seat about the middle of last year. A member sold her bike and I bought the front seat from her and the pillion new. The backrest does go back far enough for me. I tend to sit more upright, even in my car.

On the tool bag, I am think about a small aluminum rectangle frame around the inside near the top and riveting the leather to it.

Did you see where I changed out my headlight for a 7" one off a Sabre and built my luggage rack?
my eye was drawn to the headlight and i thought it looked larger and cool but i assumed it was the original headlight, i did stop and think about that, yes.

The carrier rack i recall when you were making that, yes. looks great.

Your bike is looking quite nice Tom:cool:

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

Did the 7" headlight bolt right on or did you have to modify brackets etc????

How was it getting all the wires out the back of the old headlight, PITA???

What made you want to do that exactly? (want to hear it from you rather than assume).

Looks good from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the 7" headlight bolt right on or did you have to modify brackets etc????

How was it getting all the wires out the back of the old headlight, PITA???

What made you want to do that exactly? (want to hear it from you rather than assume).

Looks good from what I can see.
Here is the post on the install.

It does shake a bit more then I want. This spring I will redo it in steel and welding. The wires were a nonissue. In fact I have more room now. The main reason I changed was looks. When you looked at the bike from the front with the big windshield and the 4" driving lights the headlight looked way to small. It was also set back a bit behind the driving lights. Just didn't look right. I feel it is a lot better now, and most important, I like it.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Lookin` GOOD!!!
You GO BOY!!!

Excellent for a "first time" job!!
>> Also the bag twists to the left with the weight of the tools in it. I think I either need some kind of internal frame or maybe a couple of turn clasps on th from flap. I am open to all thoughts and comments to learn more. <<

Do you think, that, IF you position the bag a little to accommodate the "twist" from the weight, then tighten the clamps, that the bag will stay in the exact position you want it to?

I`m glad my Bike has the compartment under the left cover for credentials and tool bag ;)

Mine wouldn`t look as good as yours does, if I were to attempt making one...

I wish I had a Tandy store nearby, so I could,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think I fixed the twist/sag problem, and for free. I formed a piece of flat aluminum stock I had in my scrap bin in to a square "C" shape and mounted it the inside. I added a fastener on each side and it is solid. The aluminum on the back is what the band clamps mount to. I cut the screw off off flush on the inside

1 - 15 of 15 Posts