Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I'm posting in the right area but I have a question about preventing hand numbness. I bought a crampbuster and use it all the time. However after about 30min of riding my hand begins to fall asleep I have tried many different positions of my hand on the throttle and still end up with the same result numb until I ride the clutch and can fully release the throttle. I can feel a bunch of vibration in the throttle only. It feels like a dual action sander. I don't know if there is a problem with my bike or it is just me. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Do you have stock grips? Maybe add some Kuryakyn's or other grips to help reduce felt vibration.
Coop

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Thats the reason I installed the Vista Cruise so I could Lock the throttle and shake the Blood back into my Hand.It is a V-Twin thing and makes you miss riding a Inline or V-4.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
get some new grips. Coop and i have Kuryakyn's. they are great. Avon is makin' some slick lookin' grips too. if i ever get a new set it will probably be a pair of Avon's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have this issue from time to time. I read about a company that makes motorcycle gloves that address this problem and seem to work for some riders. I ordered a pair, but they didn't help me. I took advantage of their money back offer. Nice folks to deal with, I got a prompt refund, was only out the cost of shipping which is only fair. You may want to consider giving them a try. Oh, and I mainly ride a Gold Wing with Kury ISO gripes, so vibration wasn't an issue for me.

LINK: Qwi Motorcycle Gloves

·
Registered
5 Posts
hand numbness

a couple of post had the right ideas, see your dr. and an other one was what I call a throttle lock.(there are different names, but put simply it locks the throttle so you can release it)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a set of gel grips on my Buell Blast. Took a lot of the vibrations out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
get some new grips. Coop and i have Kuryakyn's. they are great. Avon is makin' some slick lookin' grips too. if i ever get a new set it will probably be a pair of Avon's.
Those Avon diamond grips... kind of knock offs of the Performance Machine Roland Sands grips... are the cat's meow. They are VERY high on my to do list. I have a buddy who has them on his raucous panhead Harley and they are awesome. He also has all of the matching pegs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
These helped me...a little.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It is the angle of your wrist and the pressure you are putting on it.
Try any or all of these things:
Get the bars up and back.
Drop the brake and clutch levers down so that your wrist is not bent backwards, but down instead.
Ease up on your grip, don't hold on so tightly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
With my Crampbuster I RARELY have numbness anymore... and I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Try positioning it in different ways to give your wrist different angles. Try to ride with your fingers out straight as much as you safely can.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
let up some on your grip if you tighten up too much that will happen to, relax your hands when you can and see how that works

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Pay attention to the position of your elbow. If your elbow is straight or bowed out try tucking it in towards your ribs and make sure there's at least a slight bend in it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ive noticed this as well. the throttle lock is a good idea but I ride mainly side streets, so by the time im up to speed im shifting back down to stop. How hard is it to put grips on? I have heard everyone here talk about them, just thought my stock ones were fine, but if they have "comfy" ones, im interested :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You did not say what the bike is which will tell us if it is single or dual pin crank. The motor spawns vibrations as do old, out of round tires (you also didnt note if it was rpm or speed linked) Bar shape also affect vibration. Buckhorn bars (Sportster and some older Hondas have them) almost whip.

Changing to a different shape handlebar or adding weight with lead and sealant can also dampen it. Some grips are available with end weights but given your description, you might consider another set of bars or a dual pin bike, assuming it isn't hitting on one cylinder.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
515 Posts
My right hand goes numb pretty quickly. All of the advice here is good. I put on Kuryakyn ISO grips, then a break-away throttle lock, then I added a Kuryakyn Throttle boss. All together, I can hold the throttle normally, let go of the throttle for a few seconds, or run the throttle with my palm, or my thumb. By doing these things and changing it up, I can get the blood flowing again.

I have found that one of the best things for me to help prevent numbness in the first place is to lean back and straighten my elbows. I rode 100 miles non-stop the other day and had a duffle-bag strapped on behind me, using that as a backrest, I could lean back easily and my hand really never went numb. I think this was because my elbow was straighter, AND I wasn't using my grip to hold me up in the seat, which allowed me to seriously loosen my strangle-hold on the bike.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nehalem Dave nailed what I was going to say. My dual pin bike has no vibrations in the handlebars. You may have a bike problem related to bad wheel or balance, etc.

Other than that, I have carpal tunnel (mild) and the cramp buster helped. I have a throttle lock on the way. And relax!

Dan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts