Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being an old fart (51 and counting), and having broken my wrist and several fingers over the years, my hands seem to ache quite a bit after riding. :( would any particular type of non-stock grips help? kuryakyn type? i think they are about $60 per pair. any feedback appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
59 here... I had some pain with bikes over the years, and I've minimized it by doing the following:

First, loosen the bars and try tilting the grips to the point where your wrist is square on to your arm, and not tilted in or out... That is what helped me.

I've also gone from hard grips to slighly oversized foam grips, and in fact they are heated foam grips. Got them from a company called Custom Heat, but last time I looked, their website was down...

Between adjusting tilt of grips to your hand/arms, and the heat, I'm good now...

130KMiles on foam grips on my 93SE Wing
28KMiles on foam grips on my 95 Ace 1100
and put them on my Wife's 02 Ace 750 and she likes them, too!!

Jan

·
Registered
26 Posts
hand pain

kj I work for an Orthopaedic group and preform the tests for carpal tunnel and neuropathy. Can you describe the pain , what part ,sharp or dull ache ,any numbness etc.? Btw If it is simple muscle spasm and or pain a cramp buster and or a throttle lock might help,it did me. Any larger diameter soft type grip may help too. JM 750

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
rockyjr, all the suggestions from Jan Janowski and jmagna 750 are on the money!! Take the time to adjust the bike to YOU and then either purchase one of those "Crampbusters(or make your own outta a 4"x4" electrical bax cover)/Throttle Lock. They really help to keep pain at bay.

Other point/s...loosen your grip slightly onthe grips themselves. It's natural to "tighten" the hand grip pressure as you ride. Do your best to "mentally rmind" yourself to RELAX the grip.

IF possible, maybe "jmagna 750" can help here, do a few finger/hand warm-ups before getting on the bike. Just some "flexing" type things to "stretch" the tendons/ligaments. Maybe "jmagna 750" can have a few pics of these type excersices posted for us. Mmmmm? But these things do help whether it's a short ride/long ride.

Bullzeyet......I'm older than you. :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the pain is the general type of ache type, with some slight numbness that lasts for less than an hour. probably arthritus, flaming up due to the usage on the bike. just looking for answers or mitigation ideas. thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I had my Spirit . I put the Kuryakyn iso grips on .
And my hnds and wrist felt better . I noticed with these grips . Being
A little thicker & The material they use . It seems that I did not have to
grab the grip as hard !
I also used A Throttle Rocker !

Jack

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i have had similar pain and numbness. especially in the thumb of my left hand. prob from working the clutch.

sounds like you need to relax your grip on the handle bars. i have to consciously keep reminding myself to relax my grip.

just taking one hand at a time off of the handle bars and let it dangle helps
to get the circulation going when you feel numbness coming on.

droy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hand pain

51 here too, these guys told the right things to do.

I had that too, hand pains and shoulder pains. It is all adjusting the bars and controls to fit your needs.

I will add one more thing, Hand guard. I realised that in cold day riding my hands were hurting more the next day. It was the cold, so i added heated grips and hand guards. Made a big dif for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hand pain

If the pain and numbness is mainly in the thumb and first two fingers it could be cts . If it awakens you at night some times it may be worth getting a ncv done. You can purchase some cheap splints at Wal/m to wear at night as this is usually when you can put pressure on your wrist area without being aware of it. JM750

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
when i firs started riding i was having problems with wrist/hand fatigue due to my vise like grip while riding. adjusting the bike helped some. adding the kuryakyn grips helped a little more. biggest thing to help with my hand/wrist issues was to add a backrest. helped a few other issues too but the hand wrist part kinda surprised me. it made sense after i thought about it. i can lean into something rather than hold myself up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Kury ISO grips with the Throttle Boss did the trick for me. I have carpal tunnel syndrom as well.

They're worth the 60 bucks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I changed my risers so I got 1.5" up and 2.0" back, also the Universal Kury ISO grips with Throttle Boss and also a Throttle Rocker, I do have a back rest and along with being 10yrs older than the oldest poster so far and no problems with the wrists, I also do as mentioned while doing rides just let one arm hang down for a little bit to keep more circulation. What type of ride do you have :?:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had good luck with the $15 foam grips from the Honda dealer.
They look a bit oversized, but not too bad.

I added those and a throttle rocker and have noticed a great improvement in comfort.

I'm pretty lanky and don't have much 'padding' in my fingers and palms, and I tend to grip the handles fairly tightly; so this combination of foam+rocker really helped the white-knuckle-syndrome.

Oh, good gloves help too.
-K

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yep, change the grips, adjust the bars to max the comfort level, and add a windshield.

You'll only have to hang on hard when you need to, the rest of the time you can, well, rest. 8)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Vista Cruise throttle lock would let you hold on without using such a hard grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get the throttle rocker. If you don't change grips you can get one that snaps on or, if you change to the Kury grips, get the one that integrates with the grip. You can use the heel of your hand to apply some pressure to the throttle and relax your fingers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the cramp buster when I ride. I was having the cramps in my hand and arms which resulted in a bad case of tendonitis. I purchase a $12.00 cramp buster and it took care of my pains. I had a tendency to grip my throttle and
I also had trouble as a newbie staying at a constant speed. This cramp buster solved everything for me. My husband uses a throttle lock on his bike,
but I've always used my cramp buster. It is that simple. bc1

·
Registered
526 Posts
Chiropractor and a cramp buster.

My back got messed up quite a while ago throught hard use, job related stuff, and I got hit by a tractor trailer.
I go to the chiro about every 3 months on average.

I hadn't been for a while and my right hand and wrist were bugging me. I got a cramp buster and that helped a lot, but the adjustment made a world of differance.

I am looking into a drivers backrest now so that I can get some support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts