Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay all,

I'm looking at replacing my stock handlebars on my 2013 phantom. I want about a 10 inch rise and as much pull back as i can so i can sit back in the seat with out having to leave forward at all. Anybody have any suggestions? and where is a good place to buy. I was looking at apes but it seems like everything is meant for harleys. Does knurling and dimples actually mater?
Also, the bars have to be black.

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You can use Harley bars. The dimples and such will probably be set up for Harley controls, but thats easy to get around. Lots of generic bars out there that dont have dimples and will have the correct knurling.

I put victory bars on my aero for a day, I just ground off the nubs on the factory parts that had them. Never had a problem with them rotating, I did leave a slight nub to hold. I took those bars back off put the factory bars back on because the comfort was better. But I would suggest looking at smething like a 10.5in mini-ape bar for a Harley street bob. I have a street bob and the factory 10.5in mini-apes are extremely comfortable. Or if you're into the club style (like Sons of Anarchy bikes) T-bars are easy to find and swap on. Something like West Coast T-bars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks For the advice. When you said that the dimples are easy to get around what do you mean?

You can use Harley bars. The dimples and such will probably be set up for Harley controls, but thats easy to get around. Lots of generic bars out there that dont have dimples and will have the correct knurling.

I put victory bars on my aero for a day, I just ground off the nubs on the factory parts that had them. Never had a problem with them rotating, I did leave a slight nub to hold. I took those bars back off put the factory bars back on because the comfort was better. But I would suggest looking at smething like a 10.5in mini-ape bar for a Harley street bob. I have a street bob and the factory 10.5in mini-apes are extremely comfortable. Or if you're into the club style (like Sons of Anarchy bikes) T-bars are easy to find and swap on. Something like West Coast T-bars.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Have a look:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/295329-harley-1-bars-2005-shadow-pics.html

Harley knurling is slightly narrow compared to the Honda risers. So, your options are:

1. Buy bars with "Metric Knurling" - limited options & typically more expensive.
  2. Buy bars with no knurling and skip it - limited options.
  3. Buy bars with no knurling and create your own - knurling tools aren't cheap either!
  4. Buy HD bars with incorrect knurling and live with it.
I chose option 4 and I've been happy with my choice. I spent ~$100 on the bars, didn't get too aggressive so I could use my OEM cables in case I didn't like it. As it turns out, not only do I not mind it, but I like it. I kinda wish the entire center section was knurled.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Here's a pic showing the knurling on the inside of the risers. This was during install, so it's not 100% lined up, but gives you an idea of the difference.

If you can live with that cosmetic difference and grinding off the alignment pin on the controls, I'd highly recommend using "HD Bars" instead of metric.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks For the advice. When you said that the dimples are easy to get around what do you mean?
the dimples are nothing that is going to cause you problems. You can grind down the nipple on your factory controls to fit any handle bar if they dont match. and any dimple that you dont use will be covered up by your controls.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,459 Posts
Your best option would be go with a set of risers then pick a non knurled bar and you can drill your own holes to position the controls but doing away with the "nubs" is no big deal but.... Getting welded bars to your spec may require some alterations to your bike top fork clamp. Be wary when a vendor says "they will fit". BTW to do this right, $$$.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i have the bars bought. 10" ape from drag specialty (1" diameter). now i need to get the risers. Who makes a riser that will fit my shadow phantom? what size bolt should i be looking for?
thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts