Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VLX600, 2005 Just doing my first two year switch cleaning on this bike.
And came across weight inserts 10 inches with rubber ends in the end of the handle bars, stability factor maybe?

Was hoping to place warmers in there.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
They are there to reduce vibration, I think.. I had them in my Aero's bars, and when I went to put grip warmers in, I removed them.. Might have been all in my head, but I think the bars bumbled a little more along with the bike after I took them out.. Nothing that could really be noticed after an hour of riding though..

I did a bunch of research before I took mine out - most say they don't see much of a difference either. :neutral:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might have to replace them with smaller lead slugs with a hollow wire sleeve to enable grip warmers wires to pass by.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
VLX600, 2005 Just doing my first two year switch cleaning on this bike.
And came across weight inserts 10 inches with rubber ends in the end of the handle bars, stability factor maybe?

Was hoping to place warmers in there.
Install them and let us know how they helped. I may then look for some that fit mine.

I am a believer that you cant do enough to reduce the vibration in the Bars,
if i had a set of those that fit i would install them without hesitation.

Honda used to use those on the older models, it would be interesting to hear their reason for designing those out of the later bikes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When I had my Aero, I filled the handlebars completely with Copperhead pellets. Sealed both ends of the handlebars as well as all holes with clear silicone sealant. Significantly and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the vibration in my handlebars.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
They are available as spare parts from older models and i have thought several times about getting a set that i think would fit.

Nice to know there are options. We've all seen those "Handlebar Snakes" right...

I have the Kury End Weights, The Kury Grips and a fair amount of stuff mounted to the Handle bars that reduce vibration too.

but like i said, you can't do too much when it comes to reducing handlebar vibration imo.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
When I had my Aero, I filled the handlebars completely with Copperhead pellets. Sealed both ends of the handlebars as well as all holes with clear silicone sealant. Significantly and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the vibration in my handlebars.
Off topic, but, that's a great sig pic, Big Poppa.. Love that bike, it's a thing of beauty.. ;)

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

wow, just noticed Papa changed his sig pic. (right after Mark said something lol)

that is an awesome pic, what a beast!

That front fender tip makes mine look like a zip-top off a beer can ...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was thinking the same as Mark-B and Bobolto
man I love that bike... I have seen your sig pick a 1000 times but wow I really saw it tonight

sorry for the hijack

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
I agree very nice looking bike. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thank you!! I appreciate all your complements and apologies to the OP for taking the focus away from the actual topic.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
^^ ..:lol: ..meh. .. It happens.. :) ...

Anyway.. :) ..I did put some Kuryakyn bar weights on my ISO grips.. I'm sorry.. Its been a while, but I seem to remember thinking that they made somewhat of a difference in feel at the grip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got a lot of years with British bikes. Vibration is a problem with those. A lot of guys do something similar to what was mentioned with the BB's but they use lead shot and epoxy.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They are available as spare parts from older models and i have thought several times about getting a set that i think would fit.

Nice to know there are options. We've all seen those "Handlebar Snakes" right...

I have the Kury End Weights, The Kury Grips and a fair amount of stuff mounted to the Handle bars that reduce vibration too.

but like i said, you can't do too much when it comes to reducing handlebar vibration imo.
You could always stop riding...but seriously, you guys always find SOMETHING to complain about? I consider myself LUCKY to have a bike to ride and to be able to ride it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only have weekend to fix mine, as the other 5 days it a commuter bike. But I want warm hands and a stable ride.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
He lives in Arizona, he has no season!
I know summer can be too miserable to ride!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.