Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 86 VT700 and the handlebar grips are very tatty..But I can't get the old ones off without damaging the throttle control..

Is there a trick to it?

John.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be able to cut them off but I am reluctant to start something that might eat into my riding time, I think I will leave them a while longer..I don't like the bike off the road and we can't get spare parts here as easily as you can in the states..We really are worse than a third world country..If China and India didn't exist we would be back in the stone age.

John.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
John, if you got the grips off and couldn't get new ones on, I am sure you could come up with something. Like the tongue from an old boot and shoe laces, or something!
Where's that British ingenuity? :)
Dan

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just removed the old grips on Lazurus earlier today using the air compressor method and then installed some old school GT style grips.
Total time mebbe 30 mins.
Just have to leave them undisturbed overnight for the grip glue to fully set up.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not getting the new grips on, it's getting the old ones off without damaging the throttle sleeve that bothers me..But I have another set of bars that I will remove the grips on as a practice run...I'm still undecided about which bars to use..

John.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Razor blade. They are rubber, right? Even foam one's have rubber sleeve inside,...... or mine did, and I cut them off in 5 seconds. Installed new ones in 10 seconds with soapy water. Cleaned the throttle sleeve and other bar end w/ sandpaper, ...... P.O. used some kind of "glue"?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Razor blade. They are rubber, right? Even foam one's have rubber sleeve inside,...... or mine did, and I cut them off in 5 seconds. Installed new ones in 10 seconds with soapy water. Cleaned the throttle sleeve and other bar end w/ sandpaper, ...... P.O. used some kind of "glue"?
No mine were metal, I got them off eventually, I used a large wrench and a hammer and smacked them off..the reason they were so tight was that they had been prewrapped with tape and then packed on with gripfix or something like..

New rubber ones ordered and will be here thursday..

Thanks for all your suggestions.

John.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.