Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I am about to upgrade from a 1996 Magna to a Shadow Aero. I really like this bike but when idling, the handle shakes a bit. Is this normal?

My Magna’s handle doesn’t shake like that so I am curious if this is a defect or normal. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
probably normal, you've got half as many cylinders firing vs the Magna, bound to be a bit rougher at idle.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. It makes sense with the cylinder count. The sales guy said something about rubber mounts , which didn’t makes sense to me.

Appreciate the quick response!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
These engines are solid mounted so they will shake more.
The handle bars may have rubber mounts however.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
402 Posts
If the shaking is excessive, maybe the handlebar weights (#2 from the microfiche above) were remove for some reason (I thought that very thing on my Spirit even though they had not been removed). I now have the Kuryakyn ISO grips installed on the Spirit and recently added the Kuryakyn end weights. Not sure how much they diminish the vibration, but a little more mass on the handlebar ends certainly can't hurt anything.

I have a '98 Valkyrie Standard and if I ride that for a few days then jump on the Shadow, the vibration seems excessive. But, after a little time on the Shadow, the vibration is not nearly as noticeable.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If the shaking is excessive, maybe the handlebar weights (#2 from the microfiche above) were remove for some reason (I thought that very thing on my Spirit even though they had not been removed). I now have the Kuryakyn ISO grips installed on the Spirit and recently added the Kuryakyn end weights. Not sure how much they diminish the vibration, but a little more mass on the handlebar ends certainly can't hurt anything.

I have a '98 Valkyrie Standard and if I ride that for a few days then jump on the Shadow, the vibration seems excessive. But, after a little time on the Shadow, the vibration is not nearly as noticeable.
Having owned inline 4 bikes my experience has been the bar dampeners are more for higher frequency buzz, an anecdote, bought a new bike took it on a weekend road trip, the dealer didn't tighten the bar ends fully the weights fell out somewhere along I80, after that it was like having a handful of angry bees in both hands at 65mph, can't remember the rpm, but the bars would buzz at that rpm in all gears, I had to either ride at about 60 or 70 to keep my hands from getting very painful and going very numb.
Bought other bikes used and most had no dampers either, with varying bar lengths the rpms each would buzz at was different.
Also my CB750 was so bad I actually made a mould and melted old tire weights and scrap lead to make my own dampeners, night and day difference.
Just my own experiences and what I've read.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My 1970 650 BSA vibrated terribly, at higher speeds/rpm the bars vibrated to the point it felt more like holding on to baseball bats, the big end... could have partially been the carbs needing synced,,,

·
Registered
780 Posts
My 1970 650 BSA vibrated terribly, at higher speeds/rpm the bars vibrated to the point it felt more like holding on to baseball bats, the big end... could have partially been the carbs needing synced,,,
That might've been because it was a parallel twin with the 360° crank angle, both pistons are going up and down at the same time, like a split single but each cylinder fires 360° after the other.
My brother had a Yamaha XS650 same setup, at idle it looked like a jackhammer especially because he put extended forks on it, that bike caused him to give up riding, because of those forks and lack of knowledge about proper rake and trail, nearly killed himself.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
I read somewhere that you can make some cheap weights with BBs or buckshot or fishing sinkers taped tight with electrical tape and make it fit tight into the end of the bars.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Yeah @swifty2014 I read that them weights made from those round objects work well inside loose, too...
I wasn`t even aware of these weights in the handlebars until I changed mine out after my deer encounter,
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I`ve not ridden my 96 750 V4 MAGNA in so long I forget what it feels like ;)
Welcome @Bitterjake,
Dennis
Magna is a very sweet ride and my first bike. Learned to ride on it, dropped it once, but the bike still ride like a dream. but with 25 years under the belt, she don't want to run very reliably. minor issues (clogged up carbonator, stator, rectifier, started relay, ignition switch) have kept me from taking advantage of full riding seasons. I need to ride more and spend less time repairing, hence the upgrade.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
I didn't know anything about handle bar weights either, and I saw something in the ends.
So I pulled out these monstrosities to check what they were.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey All, I am about to upgrade from a 1996 Magna to a Shadow Aero. I really like this bike but when idling, the handle shakes a bit. Is this normal?

My Magna’s handle doesn’t shake like that so I am curious if this is a defect or normal. Any help would be much appreciated!

Bitterjake,
I don't know anything about handlebar shaking/vibration, but I can tell you that I also "upgraded" my 1997 750cc Honda Magna to a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero, and now wish I had not! There is no comparison between the two bikes. The Magna was much smoother and more powerful than the Shadow. Although the Shadow is okay while cruising, it just doesn't have the power of a Magna, especially when accelerating. I thought a 750 was a 750--boy was I wrong! I wish I had the Magna back. Too bad Honda stopped making them. So, think about this before you "upgrade."

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Bitterjake,
I don't know anything about handlebar shaking/vibration, but I can tell you that I also "upgraded" my 1997 750cc Honda Magna to a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero, and now wish I had not! There is no comparison between the two bikes. The Magna was much smoother and more powerful than the Shadow. Although the Shadow is okay while cruising, it just doesn't have the power of a Magna, especially when accelerating. I thought a 750 was a 750--boy was I wrong! I wish I had the Magna back. Too bad Honda stopped making them. So, think about this before you "upgrade."
IF you`re serious about owning another Crazy FAST V4 Magna 750 > Then Come on Down,
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bitterjake,
So, think about this before you "upgrade."
I pulled the trigger and got the Shadow. Yes, you are correct there is no comparing these two. My biggest reason was the time spend riding vs repairing the magna. As a 25 year old motorcycle, i spend a lot of time repairing the machine when I rather be riding. Also, there is not a lot of mechanics that wanna work on four cylinder and those who do work on them charge arm and a leg, not the mention the distance i have to ride or tow, depending on someone to get me back and forth etc. i just got fed up.

i just wanna ride.. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Shadow is certainly better than nothing! I had my '97 Magna for over 20 years and only had mechanical issues once, when I let it sit all winter without starting it or moving it for 4 months. The valves got messed up and the bike wouldn't start in the spring when I was ready to ride again. I had it towed to my motorcycle mechanic (only 2 miles away) and he fixed it to like-new condition. Other than that, I never had any mechanical issues with the Magna the whole time I owned it. Enjoy your Shadow--even though it won't have the power or smoothness of the Magna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts