Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking about a friends 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. When sitting on the bike the other day, she looked down and noticed that the handlebars weren't running exactly parallel to the front edge of the triple t's.

She bought it used, and looks like at least the risers were replaced. They're chromed and I don't think they were chrome originally.

Is this a sign of a problem? Or is just just something that happens where things don't just line up exactly?

Opinions requested. Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is actually pretty common. My VLX came out of the dealership like that (brand new). I asked one of the techs about it and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I drug him out to the showroom floor and showed him how half of the bikes they had assembled were out of alignment. He just looked embarassed and suddenly disappeared back in the shop. I think it's just a matter of not getting them lined up BEFORE you torque the bolts on the bottom of the risers down. I loosened mine up and wiggled them around and got them much better but still not perfect. You will probably have to remove the bolts that hold the riser in the tree (from the bottom) and take the risers and bars completely up and out and then figure out some way to rotate the rubber bushings until they both line up correctly. The bushings may have been shoved in with no regard to aligning them at the time of assembly. Good luck moving those rubber bushings if they've been in there for a few years. It really doesn't hurt anything, just looks funky. The original risers should have been polished aluminum with no chrome. Most people never even notice if they out of alignment. If you decide to pull them and straighten things out here's a tip, run a couple pieces of rope or straps over the rafters in you garage (if they're exposed) or the garage door rails so that when you lift the bars and risers out they will be suspended and won't ding up you tank and nobody has to hold them with all of the cables attached.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you loosen the clamps on the risers and have someone hold the front tire while you hold the handlebars straight while you re tighten the clamps you can get them nice and straight had to do mine today I had lowered the angle of my bars the other night and did not make sure they were straight when I tightened the clamps

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Croz - where the heck have you been???
Hey Mark. Been crazy. Things have been super busy and my forum surfing has been cut down. Since buying the Yamaha, I had been spending more time in the Yamaha forum as I make some changes and get things fixed up after a little accident in December. (nothing like yours, Mark. Just went down in the rain and tore some stuff up.)

I'll be around more often though. This board has a lot more traffic than the Yamaha board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts