Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 1100 Shadow spirit
I have an intermittent starting problem. Replaced the battery with a high output. New plugs, good gas.. tightened all the battery connections etc I could get to.
What I’m seeing is, during the summer the bike would get progressively harder to start. Hit the start button and it would hesitate somewhat and them start. This would progressively get to the point where I thought it would not start altogether. I put it on the charger and the process would start again. This included after long rides. Well the weather has gotten colder and just as I suspected, it does not want to start. Turns over really slow. I have good head light power. Have it on the charger now and hope to get it to fire.

What should I be looking at first, second, third, etc. Trying not to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
WOW, seems like electrical problem week. Look at the threads about cleaning the start switch, do a search. BUT, I am betting you have a RR problem, search for the threads on the mosfet upgrade. Just ordered mine today.
If you put a meter on your battery when the bike is running, if the voltage is less than 13v, you have a charging system problem. The weak charging system, will cause the battery to do what you are describing.
Dan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Also...

Pull the seat off and check the wiring that is covered with a semi-clear plastic 'condom' (sorry...but that's the best description I could come up with).

My bike was doing some starting shenanigans and it turned out to be a short between the stator wires where they joined to the voltage regulator/rectifier connectors....

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
No, on the 2nd black bar down at the top of this page it says SEARCH, use the advanced search, my VLX only puts out 12.5V at idle, 13.7 at 3500.
and even with the fog lights I dont have a starting problem (and thats even when its not on the battery tender).

But it deffinetly sounds like a charging problem.
Do you have any added lights or accessories? if so the load may be to much for the system to keep the battery up to where it needs to be.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My 90 1100 did the same thing. Found one of the stator wires was cut and grounding out. Had to remove the stator to repair. It also cooked the rectifier so I ordered one from ElectroSport. Better than OEM and half the price the dealer wanted. Now it starts right up. They need over 12.3 volts to fire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds like low amps on the battery, it can be showing 12v or better and still not have the amps but then again that prob could be caused by the kill switch not passing enough current due to corrosion, open it up and spray with contct cleaner

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good call Mongrel. The three yellow wires under the seat. At least on the Aero. The three phase wires. Mine started to show signs of it starting to melt at the connections. I cut them and soldered them together in no particular order.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Check battery voltage (with digital Multimeter) while idling, and get back to us.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,134 Posts
Also...

Pull the seat off and check the wiring that is covered with a semi-clear plastic 'condom' (sorry...but that's the best description I could come up with).

My bike was doing some starting shenanigans and it turned out to be a short between the stator wires where they joined to the voltage regulator/rectifier connectors....
The 3 yellow wire syndrome. Solder or crimp with good butt splices and seal with shrink tube. Be sure to slip on shrink sleeve before doing the revision. ;) If this doesn't cure the problem, you at least prevented a future one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.