Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's an 86 vt500. when you run it for a little bit and turn it off, it won't start back up. it back fires some times when it is trying. it's got striaght pipes and it looks like some one has been in the carbs. i checked the spark plugs and they aren't fouled out and the air filter looks to be in good shape. it never loses spark. could it be a temp. sensor or heat thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My hard starting problem(s) were of two types: electrical, and spark

to fix the electrical, I replaced the regulator, and (THIS WAS KEY) replaced the battery with the correct one. Previous owner had installed one that fit but had less than half the cold cranking amps of the spec battery. Search your battery up on the net and see whether it crosses to the correct one.

to fix the spark, I had to replace the black box under the seat. That might be intermittent, so check it again.

The last problem I've had was the little vacuum hose to the petcock. If it won't start, and you start to pull plug wires and such, and if it is dark, you might knock that loose and end up walking home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.