Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode along in the 2013 House of Thunder Toy Run on Saturday. What a great experience. The weather was perfect (65º and sunny) and everyone was all smiles as we rode in with a truck full (literally - see below) of toys to an orphanage in Gilroy, CA. These are kids whose parents have either abandoned them or who have restraining orders filed against them by the state on behalf of the kids. In most cases the parents are hooked on hard drugs and have chosen their addiction over their kids. The only sad part of the day was when we were told we couldn’t take pictures of the kids receiving their toys (obviously the highest point of the day) because if said pics were posted online and the parents were to see them, the fear is that the parents would show up, steal the toys from the kids and sell them for drugs. What a sad deal. The ongoing joke was “next weekend is the Beat Up the Parents Run!” The kids were so great - so thankful and so well-mannered. Anyway, already looking forward to next year. I would highly recommend anyone participate in a toy run at any of your local bike shops. Just seeing these kids when the truck rolled up… it’s something I’ll never forget. I know the Honda dealership here doesn’t do anything like this, but both local Harley dealerships do a toy run, and the non-Harley riding folks definitely weren’t getting any looks as far as I could tell. It just wasn’t that kind of day - it’s a “we’re bikers helping out kids” day, period. See the Shadow in the photos below! Photos courtesy of my wife:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm jealous man. First toy run I did this year it was 20 degress, 2nd one it was -2. It was kind of funny in that when it was -2 and we started going over 45 mph my helmet visor froze up so I had to lift it to be able to see. That's when it started to feel a bit chilly! That looked like a great turn-out. I think these toy runs are as rewarding for the riders and participants as they are for the recipients. Got any more runs planned for next weekend?
Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm jealous man. First toy run I did this year it was 20 degress, 2nd one it was -2. It was kind of funny in that when it was -2 and we started going over 45 mph my helmet visor froze up so I had to lift it to be able to see. That's when it started to feel a bit chilly! That looked like a great turn-out. I think these toy runs are as rewarding for the riders and participants as they are for the recipients. Got any more runs planned for next weekend?
Thanks for the pictures.
Hats off man - that's hardcore! Riding in 20º is cold enough, -2 is just plain crazy! But you're right, the toy runs are so rewarding I think I'd do it no matter what the temp was. No rides or runs for me this weekend or the next. I have surgery tomorrow afternoon and will be laid up for a couple weeks. I think I'll just put my Why We Ride DVD on repeat :cool:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
We imagine there is a special place in Hell reserved for those who mistreat little children. They are assigned to Furnace #1, near the hub...

You did very well.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We imagine there is a special place in Hell reserved for those who mistreat little children. They are assigned to Furnace #1, near the hub...

You did very well.

We trudge on.
Agreed - they go next to the furnace that's reserved for people who torture puppies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts