Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A windscreen defroster? Heated motorcycle seats? I rode in to work yesterday (2nd shift) and it was a balmy 55 degrees here in Maryland. When I left work it was 28 degrees and both sides of my windscreen and the seat were covered in frost. I had enough outer protection, but I had to pull out a credit card to scrape the frost off of the windscreen!

Radar

·
Registered
448 Posts
Radar said:
A windscreen defroster? Heated motorcycle seats? I rode in to work yesterday (2nd shift) and it was a balmy 55 degrees here in Maryland. When I left work it was 28 degrees and both sides of my windscreen and the seat were covered in frost. I had enough outer protection, but I had to pull out a credit card to scrape the frost off of the windscreen!

Radar
Radar,

I hate to mention this but scraping the windscreen with a credit card has probably scratched it really bad. It's not glass like a cage. They say when installing a windsheild you should be able to see over it, or a least be able to see over it without too much streching.

I've never heard of a shield with a defroster but I did find this link for a seat heater. I know nothing about it.

http://www.checkcorp.com/seat_heater/specialized_apps_motorcycle.asp

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe a thermal strip like in a heated glove, tactfully applied to the windscreen. Turn on the "grip" and you get a heated windscreen. Turn on the other "grip" and instant bun warmer.

·
Registered
884 Posts
93 Black Shadow said:
I can personally vouch for the folks at Russell Mfg. (http://www.day-long.com) because that's who made the seat on my bike. They take your pictures & your measurements & custom build the seat to fit you, guaranteeing the the comfort. And, if you include your co-rider on the back, they'll even guarantee THEIR comfort, too. Seriously, after joy riding the bike all day long, my wife asked if we can go for a joy ride before settling in for the night. Hard to beat a deal like that. EXCELLENT customer service, too.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Radar said:

Radar
I have heated Corbin seats on my FJR. Booya, toasty buns!! I look over the windshield, so a heated helmet is more beneficial than a defrosting windshield.

Believe me, there's a product for everything:
heated motorcycle helmet shield kit

·
Registered
131 Posts
You might try some of that spray-on de-icer that you can get at Pep Boys or any auto parts place. Only thing is that I don't know if it will harm the plastic. It works great but smells pretty nasty. (Like a lot of other things in life!) :lol:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You can get windsheild defrosting tape like is in the back windows of cars. Not sure of the quality or such, but it's an option.

8)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,222 Posts
You might try some of that spray-on de-icer that you can get at Pep Boys or any auto parts place. Only thing is that I don't know if it will harm the plastic. It works great but smells pretty nasty.
That's mostly from alcohol; most of those are a combination of methyl alcohol and ethylene glycol. I don't know what that does to polycarbonate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
hunter58 said:
I hate to mention this but scraping the windscreen with a credit card has probably scratched it really bad. It's not glass like a cage. They say when installing a windsheild you should be able to see over it, or a least be able to see over it without too much streching.
Have to agree on both counts, plastic windscreens scratch alot easier than glass. If you can't see over your windscreen how in the world do you ride in the rain?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The windshield defrosting is not an issue if you have it adjusted low enough to see over the top.
The heated seat idea was part of the reason I use a sheep skin seat cover in extreme cold and extreme heat. You won't believe the comfort. It keeps your butt from sweating in the heat and it's nice and warm in cold weather. Ask Grampa, he's using one I gave him and seems to like it!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have my windshield at a height where I'm looking thru it about 2" below the top edge. This is generally where my viewing occurs. I like it at this height so that the rocks that are kicked up by big rigs & heavy duty pickemup trucks either sail over my head or they hit the windshield. Because I never leave the house when the ground is wet or when there's 40% or greater chance of rain, the only time I've had to ride in the rain was when I was on my way home. If I sit up uncomfortably tall in the saddle, I can look over the top of it. But, then, when it's raining horribly hard, the water on the helmet shield is a pain in the neck too. And, with that open, it's water on my glasses that becomes a pain. I'm not riding without my glasses. And, I did get caught out in such a bad rain storm that the inside of my helmet was almost as wet as the crack in my ... well, you get the picture. The point is that I can sit comfortably where where I'm looking thru the shield and protected from the flying debris, but can sit up tall enough to look over the top for those minimally few times when I must look over the top for safety reasons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts