Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried painting their helmet? Just got a nolan n41 off of ebay but would like to change the color. Fire engine red just doesn't cut it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I tried... but I haven't seen it in a year come June. FLip up Nolan being painted to match my bike. I might actually wear one if it matched!

Like the 75 model rock interior helmet I have painted heavy metalflake yellow with a yellow bubble sheild! Goes with the 76 CB750F! LOL

Goinz

·
Registered
628 Posts
helmet

Gonzo,

I am mystified why anyone would buy a helmet from EBay or any other rider. You would buy it never knowing if it had been dropped or more than five years old.

Unless you will be depriving your infant of live giving formula, fork up the cash and buy a new helmet.

My .02

Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
My everyday helmet has never been dropped. How do I know? Because I got it from a close friend. My "night out" helmet has also never been dropped. How do I know? Because I just bought it a week ago! :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Helmet Painting

I actually painted my helmet to match my bike, Jade green and black two tone with a silver pinstripe.
The hardest part was the precise masking of the trim around the edge.
Had the paint mixed loaclly by a paint store that has a MacBeth color eye to shoot the color and match it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Donald 1684

1. I took it on faith that the helmet presented as new was actually new and had never been worn or dropped. If you go to your local stealership you can't say one hundred percent for certain that the helmets there haven't been dropped somewhere along the line. I've always wondered why a piece of saftey equipment thats supposed to protect you from a high impact trauma would become worthless if dropped from the height of a table top.
2. The N41 is in Nolans current model line so I doubt it's passed it's shelf life.
3. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

So, those of you that have painted your lids, I need details. Did you sand, prime, what kind of paint?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Vinyl decals

I save a winter white helmet that just looked too plain. I wasn't brave enough to paint it so I put some vinyl decals on it. That at least gives me the option of changing what it looks like on the cheap. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I bought 2 Shoei helmets off of Ebay that were new...they were the latest Duhamel (sp) design for that year. Got one for me and one for my bro. The only used helmet I have ever bought was more for costume than head protection.

Gonz

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I've painted lots of helmets, the hardest part is taping out the rubber around the opening.

That and all the flak you get from people who'v never painted one for fear it would render it totaly usuless.

Paint it the same as you'd paint anything, degrease it, sand it, paint it, clear coat it.

8)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'll post a picture of the new color after it's complete.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Re: To Donald 1684

Red03ACE said:
1. I took it on faith that the helmet presented as new was actually new and had never been worn or dropped. If you go to your local stealership you can't say one hundred percent for certain that the helmets there haven't been dropped somewhere along the line. I've always wondered why a piece of saftey equipment thats supposed to protect you from a high impact trauma would become worthless if dropped from the height of a table top.
2. The N41 is in Nolans current model line so I doubt it's passed it's shelf life.
3. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

So, those of you that have painted your lids, I need details. Did you sand, prime, what kind of paint?
Great point about the dropping thing.......I can't see a drop = automatic need to replace. (If the outer shell cracks or the foam inside gets loose from the shell then yes...replace it). The guys at an experienced ride class said that any drop was cause for replacement....Seems like an urban legend kind of thing...engineers feel free to chime in....

As for the painting; in a similar post I think some in the know mentioned to use paint that will not chemically affect the plastic shell. Seems certain paints can "melt" the plastic....other than that....sand / prime / paint and ride. Make sure the primer and topcoat and clearcoat are the same types of paint....all laquer or all enamel.
Also....each coat of laquer "blends" into the previous coats, each coat of enamel is it's own layer so if you sand it down too far you get a ring where you've sanded through into the previous layer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: helmet

Donald1684 said:

What is a "night out" helmet?

Or do we not want to go there?

Jim
Jim,

It's just what it sounds like. A nice helmet to go out at night with when my wife is riding on the back. We got matching HJC's, CL-15's to be exact. I think they're part of the Session series. My everyday helmet is boring, black, and has a couple nicks on the top from where I put it in my filing cabinet and shut the drawer, scraping a little paint off the top. It's the one I wear when I am NOT trying to match the wife. Make sense?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I don't know much about paint and painting, but doesn't it make a difference whether the shell is fiberglass or polycarbonate? The instructions that came with the helmet may have some advice on what solvents to avoid.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
get ahold of GE they invented lexan which is what the shell is made of. do not do not do not spray it with anything other than what they tell you is okay. if the shell was fiberglass you'd have many more options but you dont so be careful.

the nolan site states that the shell is painted so there is a safe paint just be sure you get the right one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.