Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's nothing "wrong" with them, they're just a divisive brand. The main thing I think is that there's a culture among Harley riders (not all Harley riders by any stretch, but it's not uncommon either) that think HD is the only real motorcycle brand and anything else is "Jap crap" or whatever. That tends to piss off people who ride other brands, who respond by ****ting on Harleys. There's always going to be a bit of ribbing between riders based on their preferred brand, but in my experience HD tends to attract the kind of people who buy into the brand and the image a lot more than other types of bikes and feel the need to justify it by talking ****, and cop a whole lot more **** in return.
The other reason is that they're not built for performance. A lot of people get into riding because they want something that's fast and nimble and exciting, and don't understand why you'd spend a lot of money on a bike isn't. I'm a sport bike guy through and through, I can't ever see myself buying a Harley but I've ridden a couple and I had a good time on them, they're just a completely different experience. I think a lot of sport bike guys who haven't ridden them or jump on them and expect to ride them like a sport bike see the massive weight and puny power outputs from huge thumping motors and just write them off as a waste of time, but that's never been the point of a Harley. They aren't good at going fast, but they are good at making going slow interesting and engaging, which is the point I think a lot of sport bike guys miss with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I could not agree more. Why does it matter what your riding. I bet I ride my ace more then most harley guys ride their baggers. And I don't look down on them for only riding when the weather is perfect, i pass them and point two fingers down towards the ground. The passing wave from one v rod to another

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit - NHB01 Black
505 Posts
Harley Davidson - definition: (1)- an apparel manufacturer that also still happens to produce motorcycles.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
There's nothing "wrong" with them, they're just a divisive brand. The main thing I think is that there's a culture among Harley riders (not all Harley riders by any stretch, but it's not uncommon either) that think HD is the only real motorcycle brand and anything else is "Jap crap" or whatever. That tends to piss off people who ride other brands, who respond by *ting on Harleys. There's always going to be a bit of ribbing between riders based on their preferred brand, but in my experience HD tends to attract the kind of people who buy into the brand and the image a lot more than other types of bikes and feel the need to justify it by talking *, and cop a whole lot more **** in return.
The other reason is that they're not built for performance. A lot of people get into riding because they want something that's fast and nimble and exciting, and don't understand why you'd spend a lot of money on a bike isn't. I'm a sport bike guy through and through, I can't ever see myself buying a Harley but I've ridden a couple and I had a good time on them, they're just a completely different experience. I think a lot of sport bike guys who haven't ridden them or jump on them and expect to ride them like a sport bike see the massive weight and puny power outputs from huge thumping motors and just write them off as a waste of time, but that's never been the point of a Harley. They aren't good at going fast, but they are good at making going slow interesting and engaging, which is the point I think a lot of sport bike guys miss with them.
Buell made some outstanding street bikes. For some reason they died out.
As for the sport bike crowd....they can hop on any cruiser and have a different experience. Doesn't have to be a Harley.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
591 Posts
I lack the upper body strength needed for riding an HD.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
197 Posts
I think HD riders are different to other riders, at least many of them. I used to work opposite the HD shop of northern Germany, and I was able to look at the bikes getting there from my workplace. As I am a Cruiser and Chopper guy to the core, I enjoyed the sound of most of them. During lunch brake I sometimes went to their showroom, nice bikes.
BUT: most of the bikers looked the same, showing off, lookin' cool, kinda artificial to me. It's like "I am rich, I want to show off so I get a HD". Like 95 % of them, and that's annoying, and it got boring after a while. I think, riding is NOT about showing off and being ****y.

But there are normal HD riders as well. The other day I talked to a guy about his HD with a Springer Fork. He said it's better than a normal fork, it has no initial breakaway torque, but they don't sell them anymore. Just a normal biker who is proud of his nice ride.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I think HD riders are different to other riders, at least many of them.......................But there are normal HD riders as well. The other day I talked to a guy about his HD with a Springer Fork. He said it's better than a normal fork, it has no initial breakaway torque, but they don't sell them anymore. Just a normal biker who is proud of his nice ride.
And he's probably one of a minority who knows how to work on one.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,462 Posts
Hey Vito! Been a long time being here. You came just in time. Did you bring your popcorn? :p

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Hey Vito! Been a long time being here. You came just in time. Did you bring your popcorn? :p

View attachment 287298
No popcorn. It's funny how there are many folks who ride Harleys because of the image, and just as many of folks who think Harley owners have one for the image.
Most interactions I have had with other riders have been great, no matter the make of their bike.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Let me play Devil's Advocate here for just a minute.

I ride motorcycles for the joy of riding them. I have just as much fun riding on one as I do riding another. It gives me a nice feeling to ride them, and I enjoy just cruising quietly down two lane blacktop country roads, and stopping for a coffee when I get a little sore.

I know people who ride to be seen and heard and for them, the pleasure is to know they are on a certain brand of bike (no matter which brand it is, Japanese or American) and it gives them pleasure to be noticed one day a week and admired because the rest of their week is spent cutting grass, fixing leaky faucets, getting yelled at by nagging wives, working hard at their place of employment, coming home to screaming kids and just trying to make it through the day or week.

So they spend a few hours one or two days a week where they can escape into their own world and just enjoy their own inner pleasures.... the exact same as I do.

So tell me.... which person's "pleasure" is 'better' or more "honest", or more "true", or more "noble"?

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Let me play Devil's Advocate here for just a minute.

I ride motorcycles for the joy of riding them. I have just as much fun riding on one as I do riding another. It gives me a nice feeling to ride them, and I enjoy just cruising quietly down two lane blacktop country roads, and stopping for a coffee when I get a little sore.

I know people who ride to be seen and heard and for them, the pleasure is to know they are on a certain brand of bike (no matter which brand it is, Japanese or American) and it gives them pleasure to be noticed one day a week and admired because the rest of their week is spent cutting grass, fixing leaky faucets, getting yelled at by nagging wives, working hard at their place of employment, coming home to screaming kids and just trying to make it through the day or week.

So they spend a few hours one or two days a week where they can escape into their own world and just enjoy their own inner pleasures.... the exact same as I do.

So tell me.... which person's "pleasure" is 'better' or more "honest", or more "true", or more "noble"?
Great way to put it. I can relate because I ride to get away from the mundane stuff you listed. Except the nagging wife. She really doesn't nag, and we both enjoy going out together (her on the back).

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,113 Posts
No real brand bashing here... BUT -- I did read one of those Popular Mechanics articles a number of years ago and they (totally unbiased,etc...) laid down the facts. If I remember right, it was the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, the Suzuki Boulevard, the Honda VTX1300, the Yamaha/Star Road Star, and yes, the Harley Softail.

Getting to the point: The motorcycle that blew all the others away was the Kawasaki Vulcan as far as performance, torque, handling, and "most bang for the buck". The 2nd worst was the Suzuki Boulevard, and was bad-mouthed because of some type of problem right out of the box. Once solved, it was okay but nothing to write home about. The others (Honda, Yamaha/Star) were good to very decent, but the Kawasaki Vulcan still blew them away.

BUT.... you'll notice I didn't include HD in the above paragraph. Well, you know why....

The worst of the worst in that Popular Mechanics article was... (drum roll)... The HD Softail. It rattled, it shook, it lacked performance, and was the most expensive of them all. Long story short - they seriously "dissed" on Harley, which probably didn't help their marketing sales, but it is what it is (or was what it was) back then.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
I have never ridden a true Harley but I do own a Buell and its great. Every single manufacturer of any type of vehicle has made good and bad machines, nobody's perfect. I own two Hondas, a Suzuki and a Buell for bikes. For automobiles I own a Chrysler, an Acura, a Mazda, a hummer, a toyota, a ford and a few Hyundai's. Brand loyalty often closes ones ones mind to other great machines that you never knew you would love.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
81 Posts
I value things that are well engineered and precisely manufactured. HD's miss on both counts, which makes my decision to ride metric cruisers easy.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
While in my experience owning 2 Harleys they do need more maintenance... my butt is my meter for any bike. If I don’t like the feel, I don’t buy. If I do... well, I clear some more garage room.
yes, Harley sells a lifestyle as well... but my lifestyle is bikes. Whatever one I’m into under my butt at that time.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I always love how people infer that an H-D is more maintenance prone and not as reliable as metric bikes when they are posting on a site that most got here because they were having mechanical issues with their metric bike!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I always love how people infer that an H-D is more maintenance prone and not as reliable as metric bikes when they are posting on a site that most got here because they were having mechanical issues with their metric bike!
Do you realize that the bikes here are older bikes which, by their age, will have problems. This forum is no different that the TriumphRat.com forum concerning bikes upwards of fifty years old.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
I value things that are well engineered and precisely manufactured. HD's miss on both counts, which makes my decision to ride metric cruisers easy.
Harley has made some very well engineered bikes but for some strange reason they just didnt sell very well. "Cough cough V-rod cough" HDs bread and butter has always been dressed out baggers and Im just not into those. There are some very cool machines that rolled out of Harleys factories but when someone says "I just bought a Harley" 9 timea out of 10 its some 800 monster full of chrome and a lazyboy on top.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.