Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 honda shadow 750 spirit
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a factory carb rebuild on bike changed back to factory breather bike has cobra exhaust with no baffles to start the bike have crank throttle about half way once starts runs alright before it would hardly run could carbs out sync cause this issue I don't have vacuum guage to properly set i messed butterfly valve from face of carb on both an set were match had to open mix screws to 3 3/8 to run smoothly up road this is my first shadow any help is great thanks
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I put a factory carb rebuild on bike
Year? What's in a rebuild? Brass rot out that bad, or do you mean just the gaskets. Start changing away from stock is to keep it around and throw back in. YOu just added a variable to the starting up scenario.

changed back to factory breather
Changed back to the stock air box, stock air cleaner. And was the cleaning element dirty to not flow air in as much? One of the start faster issues is a variable.

bike has cobra exhaust with no baffles
Pipes at this point of fast starting is not at this stroke in the cycling.

to start the bike have crank throttle about half way once starts runs alright
Before we put a dime into the bike, we need a compression number to see if this is hard starting, no power, quick starting, needs more air, the throttle needs to be open, is one variable to be eliminated first. There goes the dime count, pay to have it done, or buy the tool(s) instead.

before it would hardly run could carbs out sync cause this issue
Yes, this half of it.

I don't have vacuum guage to properly set...
Nor the compression tester. See where those dimes need to go? Independent shop have at it? 3 months in, have yet to touch it? Dealer wont touch it. Back in your lap. Tool UP! Want it done right, do it yourself? Yes?

i messed butterfly valve from face of carb on both an set were match
Nope, not about to work out for you on that eyeball mess of a quick start. No one is listening? No tool for the job, no joy is the quick start.

had to open mix screws to 3 3/8 to run smoothly up road
Nope again. This takes the right tool for the delicate work of quick oh it's quick. Only if you tool up does it start quick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bikes a 2002 the breather it had was aftermarket cone spike was cobled on lots of leaks big enough to insert knife blade the rebuild kit was to get factory jets they had 165 mains 42 slow had fuel blowing out exhaust pipes. Yes I need the proper tools but on very tight budget right now trying to get it close as can thanks for insite on issue

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,853 Posts
It sounds like you are heading in the right direction with the installation of the stock intake.
Was it an eBay or Amazon sourced Chinese rebuild kit?
They are notorious for poorly sized jets and that could be the root of the problem.

If that is the case, personally I'd put the 42 pilots back in and wander into a Honda dealer parts and have them grab the right sized mains out of their tray.
From the mixture screw position and the poor starting 42 pilots would be about right with the open pipes and allow you to put the screws back to around 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.
As an alternate source for Keihin jets online JetsRus is good. Carburetor jets, parts and tuning items - Jets R Us

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like you are heading in the right direction with the installation of the stock intake.
Was it an eBay or Amazon sourced Chinese rebuild kit?
They are notorious for poorly sized jets and that could be the root of the problem.

If that is the case, personally I'd put the 42 pilots back in and wander into a Honda dealer parts and have them grab the right sized mains out of their tray.
From the mixture screw position and the poor starting 42 pilots would be about right with the open pipes and allow you to put the screws back to around 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.
As an alternate source for Keihin jets online JetsRus is good. Carburetor jets, parts and tuning items - Jets R Us
Thanks for input I got it from ama,on but all balls brand when worked at motorcycle shop in high school we used lot there bearings so trusted there stuff it was $75 kit I had thought about trying the 42's again just hadn't done it yet did just bypass fuel pump make sure its not messing up but ran better with fuel pump hooked up

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I think All Balls kits are China sourced, but I like to imagine there is some semblance of quality control.
I either use Keihin or EBC jets myself as I find the sizing is accurate.
Bypassing the fuel pump on a VT750DC works for about the first half of the tank as there is too little head pressure beyond that point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify: are you starting Full choke; No Throttle? Is the SE / choke operating correctly?
No choke have best results when just crack throttle about half way or little less not sure what you mean by SE choke. I did pull choke cable an check not gummed up or one stuck open seem be working properly best I can tell I haven't sync carbs did best could measuring butterfly valves to opening you think that may still be my problem in sync

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,777 Posts
No choke have best results when just crack throttle about half way or little less not sure what you mean by SE choke. I did pull choke cable an check not gummed up or one stuck open seem be working properly best I can tell I haven't sync carbs did best could measuring butterfly valves to opening you think that may still be my problem in sync
SE is Starting Enhancement although everyone calls it "choke". These engines want Full choke and No throttle to start unless already run that day. Try Full Choke; No Throttle and post the results.

Do you remember what the Slow jet size is? I think it should be a #40

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SE is Starting Enhancement although everyone calls it "choke". These engines want Full choke and No throttle to start unless already run that day. Try Full Choke; No Throttle and post the results.

Do you remember what the Slow jet size is? I think it should be a #40
It is and that's what it currently has in it how fare dose you choke cable pull out the one on this bike only pulls out half inch if that every other bike ever had was more then that and thanks for input

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi!.
Probably if you need give throttle to start its a failure between mix fuel/air to carburator. have you test if your rpm are too low to start the bike? maybe a simple adjust in the mix screw to more rpm can made the trick,
otherwise, i recomended clean the carburator, and maybe a rebuild with new needles and fresh orings and sealed joints.
Hope that help.

Greetings from Spain!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think All Balls kits are China sourced, but I like to imagine there is some semblance of quality control.
I either use Keihin or EBC jets myself as I find the sizing is accurate.
Bypassing the fuel pump on a VT750DC works for about the first half of the tank as there is too little head pressure beyond that point.
Ya that's what I found out on bypassing. In past I've used lot EBC kits though been going through Amazon in order to get stuff fast all balls are China sourced though like said when worked in bike shop in high school days whe used there stuff lot never had problem. One thing forgot post when I pulled the. Hoke cable off one did have moister around the plunger while the other did not made me think it wasn't fully seating. When noticed this also found they had cables on wrong after looking at how the cable was ran in manual. I need pull carbs and check choke again see if still having that problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi!.
Probably if you need give throttle to start its a failure between mix fuel/air to carburator. have you test if your rpm are too low to start the bike? maybe a simple adjust in the mix screw to more rpm can made the trick,
otherwise, i recomended clean the carburator, and maybe a rebuild with new needles and fresh orings and sealed joints.
Hope that help.

Greetings from Spain!
I did rebuild at moment have no way of checking rpms. I did adjust mixture screw when set to what manual says it barely would run had go to 3 3/8 turn out if go 3 1/5 turns it starts running crappy again. Was told to possibly put 42 slows I got back in and turn mixture screw back in few turns.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did rebuild at moment have no way of checking rpms. I did adjust mixture screw when set to what manual says it barely would run had go to 3 3/8 turn out if go 3 1/5 turns it starts running crappy again. Was told to possibly put 42 slows I got back in and turn mixture screw back in few turns.
Oh,yeah maybe the slow jet can be a solution if you go to an 42. But anyway i would take a look to the mix screw itseld , sometimes, in a rebuild you change all the carburator but not the mis screw and i can tell you this need change too sometimes cuse o-rings and seals are a bit damaged inside so, is a inexpensive cost to do. Try it,

Greetings from Spain!

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,680 Posts
Notta carb man myself...
BUT I do work on my own IF & When needed...
My Stock unit, I "Choke" No Throttle for cold start...
IF I give her ANY throttle she ain`t startin`, Period...
I did replace diaphragms on mine some years ago, 175,000 miles on her now...

Good Luck, Matthew Girdler

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Interesting the VT750 manual do not indicate SE valve spec and just mention to make sure there is no free play, no binding and seated well. The VT1100 manual spec is

View attachment 304539
The difference is on the vt750 twin carb it is a flat faced "plug" with a "rubber" sealing face, where as the 1100 has a stepped metering needle on the face of the "plug" and a more open feed tube from the float bowl. The needle style enrichment valve is more critical of cable position because of this.

I hope this makes sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts