Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you may have added or modified and later regretted.

On my 2004 VT1100 Spirit, the highway bars I put on were too wide for the way I lean on many curves, the highway bars would drag. Also, I may have opted for different driving lights, ones that would have allowed lowers to be attached.

So far with the Liner, I'm happy with everything.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Kuraykyn skull mirrors, looked real good, were not optimal for their designed purpose though

·
Registered
302 Posts
I added a leather tool bag up front under the headlight. Handy for stuff like shades. After a few days of riding, someone asked me how I got all those scratches on my front fender. Turns out the suspension travel is pretty far on the Spirit and the front fender was coming up and hitting the tool bag. It took some time with compound and polish to work the scratches out of the plastic fender. No tool bag for this bike. (Had one on my VLX forever and the fender never touched it.)

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I added a leather tool bag up front under the headlight. Handy for stuff like shades. After a few days of riding, someone asked me how I got all those scratches on my front fender. Turns out the suspension travel is pretty far on the Spirit and the front fender was coming up and hitting the tool bag. It took some time with compound and polish to work the scratches out of the plastic fender. No tool bag for this bike. (Had one on my VLX forever and the fender never touched it.)
Yep, same thing on my Brides ride, 06 750 Spirit. About 45 minutes with compound and polish to get rid of scratches! Now it rides in her saddle bag, sure it takes up room but, it keeps her crap together.
Coop

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Keeping with the theme, this chic I took out the other night!!!!

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Yep, same thing on my Brides ride, 06 750 Spirit. About 45 minutes with compound and polish to get rid of scratches! Now it rides in her saddle bag, sure it takes up room but, it keeps her crap together.
Coop
I too had problems with a tool bag hitting the fender

·
Registered
299 Posts
Same thing on mine. After polishing the scratches out I put a 2" x 3" x 1/8" black foam pad on the bottom of the toolbag where it was contacting the fender. I got the 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of adhesive backed 1/8" thick foam at a Michael's Craft/Hobby Store and cut it to size. The foam has prevented any further scratching and is virtually invisible. So initially I regretted the tool bag but now it's O.K. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I regret wasting 250 bucks on a Cobra backrest. It was ok for a while, but my wife did not like the low backrest, so I had to change it out for a taller Hondaline that I picked up for 25 bucks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
non stock paint scheme
How so? Just didn't like the color as much as the stock? Harder to sell? Other reason?

I also had a tool bag that I kept zip tip on the rear fender rails. Same result...scratches. I just didn't think it would move that much.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Tried to answer this an hour ago...lost power...so...

Replaced the stock seat on my '99 Spirit 1100 with a recovered seat from an '02 Sabre. I loved it...wife hated it. Net result: gone.... Honestly, the stock seat has been fine for me so far, and that's after several 120+ mile rides. The Sabre seat just "looked" cooler :mrgreen:

Otherwise, I'm running the bike stock with the exception of passenger floorboards, and I raised the back pad on the stock Hondaline Sissy Bar to make it more comfortable for my wife...

I did remove the "stock" windshield that was on it when I bought it, but not sure if that qualifies for the intent of this thread...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Cobra Exhaust, Samson Exhaust, Stock bars, Drag bars, Stock seat, Corbin seat (3 in person factory visits, in Holister), Cheapy bullet lights, Dunlop Tires, platinum and iridium plugs, K&N Filters. All of which have been removed, replaced and sold or thrown in the trash.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
How so? Just didn't like the color as much as the stock? Harder to sell? Other reason?

I also had a tool bag that I kept zip tip on the rear fender rails. Same result...scratches. I just didn't think it would move that much.

Mostly just personal preference. Newer bikes not so much, but bikes from the 70's and 80's have such beautiful 2 tone paint schemes or really nice pinstripe kits. Any custom paint no matter what the quality always looks cheaper in my opinion.

I'll never paint another bike I own anything other than an OEM paint scheme offered that year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hondaline short backrest. I wish I would have gone with the tall one. The short backrest is more like a kidney pad, not much support.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A "For Sale" sign.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I had a problem at first with the toobag on the forks, but after I had them rebuilt with Progressive springs it doesn't dive anymore and the bag clears the fender.

I mounted a Wolo Bad Boy in the toolbag recently and hung it back on the forks.

Stealth Airhorn. Killer.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also had a problem with the tool bag hitting the fender... seems to be a trend here. The 03 Ace bag damaged the fender down through the clearcoat.

I put the toolbag up higher on the 02 Ace and the suspension happens to be a little better on that bike and no issues with the tool bag.

As far as adding something that I regretted... cheap walmart running lights on the 03 Ace. Only $19.00, but would have looked better with a $240 Lightbar ... Cobra or the like.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts