Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to relate to you what happened to me last Friday night so as maybe to prevent the same thing happening to someone else.

My wife and I were out on a Friday night cruise to get dinner and were on a 3 lane highway when I started hearing her horn blow. I checked my rear view mirror and seen her motioning me over to the side of the road. I thought something happened to her bike so I pulled into a parking lot. When I got off my bike I noticed my left side saddle bag laying on the ground. It was still attached to the shock otherwise it would have tumbled off and down the road and into traffic.

Turns out the strings under the rear seat broke in half and the bag came off the bike. Just wanted to suggest that maybe you pop the seat off your bike sometime and check your strings. I am very lucky the corner of the bag didn't get caught up in the chain, tire or whatever.

I am going to try a new mounting method. If it works I will take pictures and post it on here.

Have a great week everyone and ride safe,

Chris

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I had mine mounted on the bike for a couple years using the hang-over-the-fender-straps and it scuffed up the fender a bit. I finally decided to mount the bags directly to the fender rails. I used 1/4 plywood inside the bags. I used goop to adhere the plywood to the inside of the bags and drilled holes to mount them tothe frame rails. Now they're there to stay. Looking back on it now, I should've used a sheet of aluminum instead.(it's bit thinner) I have a sheet (old stop signs work perfect for this!) in the shop I used on my Yamaha and it looks like the rest of it will work on the Shadow bags. Four bolts and the bags come right off.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used aluminum diamond plate on the inside of my saddle bags. The back of the bags got saturated with water and kinda wrinkled when they dried. They sagged real bad after that, so i used the diamond plate to stiffen them back up and they hang nicer then they ever did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have hard bags on my 96 1100 ace and it is part of the daily pre-trip to ensure these are tight to the frame, it only takes a second. I firmly believe in pre-trip inspections as something you cacth at this point is easy to fix but on the road might be a different story.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You got that right. Pre trip inspectons are one of my daily routines being a truck driver and it comes into play with my bike also. Better to be safe than sorry.

G

·
0 Posts
I made hard mounts sandwiching the leather saddlebags between two pieces of plywood, painted the outside pieces, covered the inside ones with black vinyl and bolted it together. Utilized the saddlebag supports , and got some longer grade eight bolts for the struts. That was about two years ago and I've yet to have a problem with it.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Dave,
Yup, I think your one of the people that gave me the idea to hard-mount my bags. There was a post that showed photos of someone using plywood.
Also, large fender washers work good on plywood to keep the bolts from sinking into the wood when tightening them up.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
On my Madura saddlebags I just ditched the strings which held the two halves of the yoke together and replaced them with a few small nuts and bolts through the holes, with good-sized washers so they don't pull through.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Funny you shoud mention that. I was out riding yesterday and as I was about to turn down the road I saw a bike on the side of the road. I went up to see if I could help. His saddlebag had fallen off, it had some sort of HD quick release mount. So, I lent him a couple bungies to strap it to the luggage rack and we were off. Before that I never would have thought of saddlebags falling off.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Got that one covered.
A friend gave us some old throwover saddlebags {with ugly fringe that got cut off pronto! :oops: } that are the lace up kind. I worried about the same thing happening. We have a Mustang seat on the SS750 so I used the 6mm hole that the OEM rear seat "button" was in to bolt down the bags using a SS bolt and big flat washer. I would think the you could do the same type thing using the stock SS750 seat "button" too, it would raise the rear of the seat a bit though. Just laced the bags up to the proper height, poked a hole through both leather flaps and the bags aint goin' anywhere!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts