Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have a guy I trust at a custom motorcycle shop clean my carbs in exchange for me working on his virus-infected laptop. Bartering is fun!

Anyway, I need to probably buy some sort of a gasket kit. Perhaps one with brand new jets included. Can anyone recommend a kit that is identical to OEM? Perhaps one that has everything needed for both carbs? I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Wow, they must be really bad if you need new jets! Most of the time I never order a carb kit, carb parts are usually salvageable.

Bowl gaskets, and float needles are usually all I ever replace, and their available individually most of the time.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Never seen a rebuild kit that included jets or a jet kit that had the rubber parts.

Me, I'd just get a jet kit. Then if damaged get the rest of the parts at the local Honda Shop. Have had my carbs apparts several time in the last 10 years. Never needed any "rebuild" parts. Diaphrams and bowl seals are at Honda, O-rings can be gotten almost anywhere.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kind of want to kind a source I can get them from without paying stealership prices. Ordering online is fine with me.

As for the jets, when I start my bike, it will die without the choke fully open. I also have to have the chock fully open when stopping and going around town. I can fully close the choke on the highway, but I have to re-open it when coming to city speed limits or it will die on me. There are a few times I don't feel safe on my motorcycle because of this.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I kind of want to kind a source I can get them from without paying stealership prices. Ordering online is fine with me.

As for the jets, when I start my bike, it will die without the choke fully open. I also have to have the chock fully open when stopping and going around town. I can fully close the choke on the highway, but I have to re-open it when coming to city speed limits or it will die on me. There are a few times I don't feel safe on my motorcycle because of this.

Personally, i wouldn't be riding a bike i could trust not to run unless at WO throttle... It took me 2 months to get mine on the road more than short hops because one cylinder wasn't running right at idle...

Why would you put yourself at risk due to a non-running right 2 wheel vehical? if it stalls and you rapidly decelerate while in traffic and you can't get out of the way....

As for jets, they are probably clogged and do not need replacing unless you are going to rejet. If you are not going to get them cleaned soon, the least i would do is run some seafoam through the gas as it CAN HELP clean out the fuel system (it will not totaly clean it, but it will help a lot).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Do the research on prices. It is cheaper for me to buy a carb kit at the dealer that it is at Bike Bandit. and at the dealer I can get it tomorrow. Bike Bandit I have to wait for delivery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The way I look at it is if it costs a couple dollars more to keep the local dealership sale's up so be it. At least you can verify the part is right before paying and if for some reason you have an issue you can talk to someone - not send e-mails back and forth hoping you get taken care of. I got lucky and my local dealer saw my face enough they put me under a commercial account. Now my prices are better than even what I see on eBay. For a carb kit - I use K&L kits and they usually run around $18 depending on the bike. I would bet for your bike you have a partially or fully clogged pilot jet that can be cleaned. In reality you could probably reuse the bowl gasket so no parts would need to be purchased, but since your working out a swap for computer work go ahead and have them do the needle and seat, bowl gasket, set/check the float height and o-rings.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ahead and got them at the dealership. The lady who sold them to me was shocked when she say the price of $30+ for each one so she knocked them down to $25 each.

The idle jets were both clogged. After the cleaning, the bike idles without the choke being on after it has warmed up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BEWARE!!!!http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_mad.gif

Don't order from motorcyclecarbs.com I shipped them my slides 4 months ago to have new diaphrams installed. Needless to say I've been ripped off. They do not return phone call's or E-mail. Now they have my slides and I have no way of contacting them. I have filed claim with BBB against Robert Reil owner. Also put fraud alert with CC company. Google motorcyclecarbs.com and you will see they have been getting away with this for years. Live and learn , I should have checked them out first. Spread the word brothers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Let me chime in on this. Picked up a 2002 1100 spirit last weekend and it had been sitting a while. I've always been a firm believer of seafoam and I have worked wonders on several bikes with it. The seller took it in to get it checked out before I bought it and the shop talked him into pouring a bottle of this blue colored carb cleaner into the tank. Can't remember what he called it. It hasn't really done much so far but I haven't even put 100 miles ion it yet so I ma sure it will take some time. It idles ok, but when I give it throttle it hiccups and bogs. Once I get it up to speed, it runs good and has good acceleration. Can I add seafoam on top of this blue stuff or should I empty this tank before I add anything else?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.