Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe some of you guy's haven't been on this yet.
According to The Kneeslider.....

Harley Davidson Will Build Assembly Plant in India

"Press release follows:
Milwaukee, Nov. 2, 2010 – Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) is moving forward with the launch of operations in India to assemble motorcycles for the Indian market from component kits supplied by its U.S. plants, the Company announced today. The Company expects the CKD (complete knock-down) assembly facility to be operational in the first half of 2011.
The announcement comes as President Barack Obama prepares to travel to India on a state visit focused on trade and business opportunities between the two countries.
“CKD assembly operations in India are a natural next step for Harley-Davidson as we build our brand presence around the world,” said Harley-Davidson [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Motor Company[/COLOR][/COLOR] President and Chief Operating Officer Matthew S. Levatich. “This investment will allow us to improve our market responsiveness and production flexibility while reducing the tariff burden, which we expect will drive growth over time by making our bikes more accessible to India’s consumers. Given the strong response we have received in the initial months of retail operations, we believe this is the right investment for this important market,” Levatich said.
To date, Harley-Davidson India has been importing completely assembled motorcycles from the Company’s U.S. final assembly plants. Once the Indian CKD assembly facility in the Indian State of Haryana is operational, Harley-Davidson India will import CKD kits for select current models, consisting of components produced by Harley-Davidson’s U.S. plants in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Missouri and by the company’s suppliers. Indian employees at the Haryana facility will then assemble the components into finished motorcycles. Other models will continue to be imported as completely built motorcycles for now."

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Probably get one from there cheaper than you can buy one here!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Won't that make them Indians?

I wish this was on facebook so I could click "LIKE".

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
642 Posts
We live in a global economy. Does anyone really care where things are made anywhere?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Really? It's been discussed here a few times before. Building bikes FOR India IN India with parts FROM America.

So?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I remember when this was in the process of happening last year. It is part of a trade deal. Harleys are to be allowed in India and Indian mangos are to be allowed in the US.

I am sure they will sell a certain quantity of bikes to the "well-to-do" Indian market but the reality is large Harleys are not very suitable for Indian roads. You are doing well to be able to travel at 80-90 km, most often a lot less. A 500cc bike is a big bike and they produce that in the Royal Enfield. The 350 outsells the 500 by a long shot.
250CC bikes are more popular, and if Harley could get into this market they might do very well.
The new Honda 250 will sell way better than some large bike.

I have the feeling that by assembling their bikes in India, it may just be a slow progression to also exporting from India, which may very well be a good thing for both parties.

The bright side is you have some tasty mangos coming your way.:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Harley is currently threatening to move jobs from Kansas City to PA, if the labor union doesn't make concessions. I believe not too long ago they threatened to move jobs to KC from Milwaukee for the same reason. Maybe the India move is just about labor.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
In order to have a chance in a number of foreign markets you almost have to assemble them overseas because of import and VAT taxes. The EU has been partcularly good at nailing US products with VATs that are higher than for anyone else while claiming that the policies are not anti US.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think the bike Harley needs to make over there is a 125cc step through.
This will take the world by storm.:p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Can't you just envision the next great book about the subcontinent starting: I was rumbling through Mumbai on my RoadKing...

What bikes WILL they be selling in India?

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if the HD's assembled in India will be identified by a red dot on the gas tank?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why is this post important to you?
What is gained by trying but failing to bash Harley?
I have owned 7 Honda motorcycles.
I still have a Yamaha dirt bike.
I now ride a 2008 HD Streetbob.
My Harley forum never bashes Hondas.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Why is this post important to you?
What is gained by trying but failing to bash Harley?
I have owned 7 Honda motorcycles.
I still have a Yamaha dirt bike.
I now ride a 2008 HD Streetbob.
My Harley forum never bashes Hondas.
It's called "joking around", einstien. I don't see one post bashing Harley, just India and the preconceived ideas that we have about that country. Humor, you know, "The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd."

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's called "joking around", einstien.
Exactly right.
Do you have to trade in your sense humor when you buy a Hog. :mrgreen:

And for the record, I've owned and ridden Honda's and Yamaha's and Suzuki's and Kawasaki's and an Can Am and an Harley Davidson and BSA's. I've owned but not ridden, Gas Gas and Triumph.

Feel free to bash any or all of those you want. At one time or another they were all turds.

Oh and by the way, I pulled the info for this thread from HDforums.com, where bashing Metrics is as popular as Monday Night Football.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts